Aug 1, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
On Thursday, the Finnish national junior team dropped Buffalo defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen from its roster for August’s U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp.
Ristolainen, the eighth overall selection at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, was left off because he’s projected to compete for a spot on the Sabres next season. Buffalo has already signed the towering defenseman (Ristolainen is 6-foot-4, 225 pounds) to an entry-level deal.
This is the second time in a week we’ve seen a team drop NHL-bound skaters from its NJEC roster.
On July 26, Team Sweden announced it had removed Nashville’s Filip Forsberg and Carolina’s Elias Lindholm from the lineup, as both are expected to be with their respective NHL clubs when the regular season opens in October.
Ristolainen, 18, was the third defenseman taken at the ’13 draft, behind Seth Jones (Nashville, fourth overall) and Darnell Nurse (Edmonton, seventh overall). He projects to be most ready for NHL play having spent the last two years skating with TPS Turku in Finland’s top league, the SM-liiga.
The U.S. NJEC runs from Aug. 3-10 and will feature four countries — the United States, Sweden, Canada and Finland. It will be the first major look at junior-level talent prior to the 2014 World Championships, which get underway on Dec. 26 from Malmo, Sweden.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)