Jul 31, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
On Tuesday, Ziggy Palffy announced his retirement from professional hockey.
“One morning is more beautiful than the previous one, and you have other opinions,” he explained, as per the IIHF website. “At this point, I believe that I quit. Definitive.
“Already I do not want to travel anywhere. Did it enough.”
The 41-year-old winger, who appeared in nearly 700 NHL contests with the Isles, Kings and Penguins, had spent last season with HC 36 Skalica of the Slovak Extraliga. Palffy was still a dynamic presence despite being one of the oldest players in the league, leading all scorers with 73 points in 39 games.
It’s not surprising Palffy was still lighting it up at 41, given his scoring prowess during his prime NHL years.
A three-time 40 goal scorer, which included a career-high 48 in 1996-97, Palffy averaged more than a point per game over his career. He also represented Slovakia numerous times on the international stage, appearing in three Olympic games while winning gold at the 2002 World Hockey Championships.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)