Jul 31, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Anthony Mantha knows he’s a longshot to make Detroit’s roster this fall.
That said, he also knows the National Hockey League is the only place he wants to be.
“For sure it is,” Mantha told MLive.com, when asked if his mentality was NHL or bust for 2013-14. “If you go around the room and ask every player, I’m not sure there’s one that will tell you that’s not their goal.”
Taken 20th overall at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Mantha is something of a rarity for Detroit. He’s the organization’s first top-20 pick since Jakub Kindl was taken No. 19 overall in 2005, and the first QMJHL skater the club has taken in the first round since Jiri Fischer (Hull Olympiques, 25th overall) in 1998.
At 6-foot-4, 190 pounds, he has good size. He’s also coming off a season in which he led the Quebec league in goals (50). Those two things are probably big reasons why he’s exuding confidence heading into his first professional training camp this September.
“I score lots of goals,” he said. “I’m a good (penalty killer) and power-play guy.”
Of course, history is not on Mantha’s side.
The Red Wings rarely rush draftees to the NHL, preferring to season them at the junior/AHL levels for a few years before making the jump. According to MLive, The last time a first-round pick played for the Red Wings the season he was drafted was 1991-92 — Martin Lapointe, taken 10th overall at the 1991 NHL Entry Draft.
Lapointe only played four games that season.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)