Jul 31, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Anthony Mantha knows he’s a longshot to make Detroit’s roster this fall.
That said, he also knows the National Hockey League is the only place he wants to be.
“For sure it is,” Mantha told MLive.com, when asked if his mentality was NHL or bust for 2013-14. “If you go around the room and ask every player, I’m not sure there’s one that will tell you that’s not their goal.”
Taken 20th overall at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Mantha is something of a rarity for Detroit. He’s the organization’s first top-20 pick since Jakub Kindl was taken No. 19 overall in 2005, and the first QMJHL skater the club has taken in the first round since Jiri Fischer (Hull Olympiques, 25th overall) in 1998.
At 6-foot-4, 190 pounds, he has good size. He’s also coming off a season in which he led the Quebec league in goals (50). Those two things are probably big reasons why he’s exuding confidence heading into his first professional training camp this September.
“I score lots of goals,” he said. “I’m a good (penalty killer) and power-play guy.”
Of course, history is not on Mantha’s side.
The Red Wings rarely rush draftees to the NHL, preferring to season them at the junior/AHL levels for a few years before making the jump. According to MLive, The last time a first-round pick played for the Red Wings the season he was drafted was 1991-92 — Martin Lapointe, taken 10th overall at the 1991 NHL Entry Draft.
Lapointe only played four games that season.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)