Jul 31, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
It’s never not interesting off the ice for the Phoenix Coyotes.
Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal reports that some financing for the deal to sell the team to Renaissance Sports and Entertainment (aka: Ice Arizona) has fallen through.
Sunnucks cites two sources close to the situation who say funding has either not been finalized or has been dropped completely from the deal. The group has until August 5 to finalize the purchase.
One member of Ice Arizona is hedgefund investor Daryl Jones and he responded to Sunnucks’ story on Twitter to set the story straight in his own way.
Craig Morgan of Fox Sports Arizona backs up what Jones said reporting that the deal is still on track to be completed by Monday’s deadline. It was reported over the weekend that the NHL Board of Governors would approve the sale this week although that’s yet to happen.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 7
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36