Jul 31, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Sounds like Ilya Bryzgalov is on his way to Sweden.
On Tuesday, a report surfaced from local news outlet Aftonbladet claiming the ex-Flyers goalie will soon begin practicing with Swedish Hockey League team Farjestad.
Farjestad goalie coach Erik Granqvist — known as one of the top goalie gurus in Europe — confirmed the move, tweeting that Bryzgalov was being brought aboard at the request of player agent Ritch Winter.
Bryzgalov, 33, was bought out by the Flyers in June with seven years remaining on his nine-year, $51 million deal signed in 2011.
While it sounds unlikely that Farjestad will offer Bryzgalov a new deal — GM Hakan Loob said the team already had “two good goalies” in ex-Calgary netminder Danny Taylor and former Atlanta draftee Fredrik Pettersson Wentzel — the move to Sweden could suggest that Bryz is getting a head start on his training in the hopes of landing something soon.
Last week, a report surfaced out of Russia that expansion KHL club Admiral Vladivostok had interest in Bryzgalov, though the club never made any formal overtures or contract offers.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 2
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)