Jul 31, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Sounds like Ilya Bryzgalov is on his way to Sweden.
On Tuesday, a report surfaced from local news outlet Aftonbladet claiming the ex-Flyers goalie will soon begin practicing with Swedish Hockey League team Farjestad.
Farjestad goalie coach Erik Granqvist — known as one of the top goalie gurus in Europe — confirmed the move, tweeting that Bryzgalov was being brought aboard at the request of player agent Ritch Winter.
Bryzgalov, 33, was bought out by the Flyers in June with seven years remaining on his nine-year, $51 million deal signed in 2011.
While it sounds unlikely that Farjestad will offer Bryzgalov a new deal — GM Hakan Loob said the team already had “two good goalies” in ex-Calgary netminder Danny Taylor and former Atlanta draftee Fredrik Pettersson Wentzel — the move to Sweden could suggest that Bryz is getting a head start on his training in the hopes of landing something soon.
Last week, a report surfaced out of Russia that expansion KHL club Admiral Vladivostok had interest in Bryzgalov, though the club never made any formal overtures or contract offers.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)