Jul 31, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Sounds like Ilya Bryzgalov is on his way to Sweden.
On Tuesday, a report surfaced from local news outlet Aftonbladet claiming the ex-Flyers goalie will soon begin practicing with Swedish Hockey League team Farjestad.
Farjestad goalie coach Erik Granqvist — known as one of the top goalie gurus in Europe – confirmed the move, tweeting that Bryzgalov was being brought aboard at the request of player agent Ritch Winter.
Bryzgalov, 33, was bought out by the Flyers in June with seven years remaining on his nine-year, $51 million deal signed in 2011.
While it sounds unlikely that Farjestad will offer Bryzgalov a new deal — GM Hakan Loob said the team already had “two good goalies” in ex-Calgary netminder Danny Taylor and former Atlanta draftee Fredrik Pettersson Wentzel — the move to Sweden could suggest that Bryz is getting a head start on his training in the hopes of landing something soon.
Last week, a report surfaced out of Russia that expansion KHL club Admiral Vladivostok had interest in Bryzgalov, though the club never made any formal overtures or contract offers.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)