Jul 31, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Sounds like Ilya Bryzgalov is on his way to Sweden.
On Tuesday, a report surfaced from local news outlet Aftonbladet claiming the ex-Flyers goalie will soon begin practicing with Swedish Hockey League team Farjestad.
Farjestad goalie coach Erik Granqvist — known as one of the top goalie gurus in Europe – confirmed the move, tweeting that Bryzgalov was being brought aboard at the request of player agent Ritch Winter.
Bryzgalov, 33, was bought out by the Flyers in June with seven years remaining on his nine-year, $51 million deal signed in 2011.
While it sounds unlikely that Farjestad will offer Bryzgalov a new deal — GM Hakan Loob said the team already had “two good goalies” in ex-Calgary netminder Danny Taylor and former Atlanta draftee Fredrik Pettersson Wentzel — the move to Sweden could suggest that Bryz is getting a head start on his training in the hopes of landing something soon.
Last week, a report surfaced out of Russia that expansion KHL club Admiral Vladivostok had interest in Bryzgalov, though the club never made any formal overtures or contract offers.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 30
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 52
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)