Jul 31, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
The New York Islanders making the playoffs last season has given them a taste for success and now they want their prospects to get that in the minor leagues.
The team announced today they’ve signed an affiliation agreement with the Stockton Thunder of the ECHL. Isles GM Garth Snow spoke glowingly of the Thunder.
“We are thrilled to have the Stockton Thunder join the Islanders as the organization’s ECHL affiliate,” general manager Garth Snow said. “The culture of success in Stockton will benefit our prospects and develop them into better hockey players as they work their way from the ECHL, to the AHL and eventually playing for the New York Islanders.”
Stockton has made the ECHL playoffs each of the last seven seasons and lost in the Kelly Cup finals to Reading this past year. In case you didn’t know, the ECHL is a level below the AHL in the minors.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)