Jul 31, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers brought another familiar face back into the fold on Tuesday, announcing that former assistant coach Billy Moores has been named Director of Coaching Development and Special Projects.
Moores, who first worked with Oilers GM Craig MacTavish on the New York Rangers’ coaching staff, served as MacTavish’s assistant in Edmonton from 2000-09, helping the club advance to the Stanley Cup finals in 2006.
The Moores hire (or, re-hire) is consistent with Edmonton’s “reaching out to our past” philosophy. Last June, MacTavish was brought back into the organization and, in April, named the eighth general manager in club history.
Also in April, the Oilers named Scott Howson their senior VP of hockey operations. Prior to his six-year stint as the GM in Columbus, Howson worked in various capacities within the Edmonton organization, including a spell as an assistant to GM Kevin Lowe.
Lowe, of course, is now the Oilers’ president of hockey operations.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 121
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (121)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)