Jul 31, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
It’s been nearly a month since the Ottawa Senators acquired Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks and one of the first things he had to adjust to is the passion and engagement of the Senators’ fanbase.
He’s already done, by his count, 40-50 interviews since the trade and in a recent media event at Bell Sensplex, reporters and cameramen completely filled a bench for a press conference with Ryan.
“I told somebody up there that the only time we see more than five or six reporters in the room in Anaheim is if we’re playing [Los Angeles] or a Canadian-based team, so this is a much different scale than I have seen before,” Ryan said, according to NHL.com. “I wasn’t quite prepared for it, but that’s why I say it was an eye-opener and it was one of those experiences I won’t ever forget.”
On the ice, he doesn’t expect his role to fundamentally change. Ryan is projected to be paired up with Jason Spezza and take advantage of the center’s playmaking abilities. Even still, he admits that moving away from the Anaheim Ducks organization, which drafted him in 2005, makes him nervous.
“I’ve been through eight training camps with the Ducks and you know what you’re going to get,” Ryan said. “You know what each day will bring, what the physical testing will be like and what is expected of you on the ice. I haven’t seen a whole lot outside of Anaheim in eight years, so this is brand new for me. I think nerves play a big part into it. I’m anxious to get going.”
In the meantime, he’s spending his summer primarily in Idaho, in a place he described as “in the middle of nowhere.” That gives him an opportunity to disconnect, which will starkly contrast what life will be like for him during the 2013-14 campaign.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
The Penguins defenseman suffered a concussion.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Rau recorded at least 40 points in each of his NCAA campaigns.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:11 PM EDT
The good news is that he’s out of the hospital.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
He’s looking forward to the challenge.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
Roy coached the forward in the QMJHL.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
They’ll talk after the season.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Both teams have depleted bluelines.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Vancouver leads L.A. by three points in the Pacific Division.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Vancouver creates breathing room in the Pacific Division.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
The Wild defeated the L.A. Kings 4-1.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Max Pacioretty scored the winner.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Toronto won for just the sixth time in 34 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Collided with Cody Goloubef in the first period.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
He allowed two goals on nine first period shots.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Finished off a nice passing play by Jagr and Huberdeau.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s starter tested early.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pens defenseman will remain in hospital overnight.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
He appeared in eight games with Columbus this season.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’ll cost him $3,897.85.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Detroit moves five points up on Boston in the Atlantic with the win.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)