Jul 31, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
It’s been nearly a month since the Ottawa Senators acquired Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks and one of the first things he had to adjust to is the passion and engagement of the Senators’ fanbase.
He’s already done, by his count, 40-50 interviews since the trade and in a recent media event at Bell Sensplex, reporters and cameramen completely filled a bench for a press conference with Ryan.
“I told somebody up there that the only time we see more than five or six reporters in the room in Anaheim is if we’re playing [Los Angeles] or a Canadian-based team, so this is a much different scale than I have seen before,” Ryan said, according to NHL.com. “I wasn’t quite prepared for it, but that’s why I say it was an eye-opener and it was one of those experiences I won’t ever forget.”
On the ice, he doesn’t expect his role to fundamentally change. Ryan is projected to be paired up with Jason Spezza and take advantage of the center’s playmaking abilities. Even still, he admits that moving away from the Anaheim Ducks organization, which drafted him in 2005, makes him nervous.
“I’ve been through eight training camps with the Ducks and you know what you’re going to get,” Ryan said. “You know what each day will bring, what the physical testing will be like and what is expected of you on the ice. I haven’t seen a whole lot outside of Anaheim in eight years, so this is brand new for me. I think nerves play a big part into it. I’m anxious to get going.”
In the meantime, he’s spending his summer primarily in Idaho, in a place he described as “in the middle of nowhere.” That gives him an opportunity to disconnect, which will starkly contrast what life will be like for him during the 2013-14 campaign.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)