Jul 31, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche have added to Dean Chynoweth’s AHL Lake Erie staff — longtime NHL defenseman Randy Ladouceur has been named the Monsters’ new assistant head coach, the club announced.
Ladouceur, 53, spent 13 years in the NHL playing for Detroit, Hartford and Anaheim. After retiring in 1996 he moved quickly into the coaching ranks, taking an assistant’s gig with the Whalers before moving with the club to Carolina, where he stayed until 2004.
From there, he had a brief stint as head coach in OHL Oshawa followed by more assistant’s gigs in Toronto (NHL), Niagara (OHL), Hamilton (AHL) and Montreal (NHL).
As mentioned, he’ll work in Lake Erie under Chynoweth who, at age 43, became the third coach in franchise history after a lengthy career in the Western Hockey League and three years as an assistant on Long Island, where he served under both Scott Gordon and Jack Capuano.
Chynoweth went 35-31-10 last year in Lake Erie.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)