Jul 31, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche have added to Dean Chynoweth’s AHL Lake Erie staff — longtime NHL defenseman Randy Ladouceur has been named the Monsters’ new assistant head coach, the club announced.
Ladouceur, 53, spent 13 years in the NHL playing for Detroit, Hartford and Anaheim. After retiring in 1996 he moved quickly into the coaching ranks, taking an assistant’s gig with the Whalers before moving with the club to Carolina, where he stayed until 2004.
From there, he had a brief stint as head coach in OHL Oshawa followed by more assistant’s gigs in Toronto (NHL), Niagara (OHL), Hamilton (AHL) and Montreal (NHL).
As mentioned, he’ll work in Lake Erie under Chynoweth who, at age 43, became the third coach in franchise history after a lengthy career in the Western Hockey League and three years as an assistant on Long Island, where he served under both Scott Gordon and Jack Capuano.
Chynoweth went 35-31-10 last year in Lake Erie.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)