Jul 30, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
One day before an arbitration hearing was scheduled, Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has agreed to a one-year, $1.15 million contract for the 2013-14 season.
In 2013, Zuccarello, 25, had three goals and five assists in 15 regular-season games, followed by one goal and six assists in 12 postseason contests.
With Zuccarello’s deal done, attention will now turn to the Rangers’ most important restricted free agent, Derek Stepan.
Stepan, 23, doesn’t have arbitration rights. At last glance (July 17), there was reportedly no progress between the two sides.
From the New York Post:
Absent pressure points (or an unexpected offer sheet), negotiations with Stepan could well go into September and perhaps bleed into training camp.
Depending on the deal they strike with Stepan, the Rangers may need to make a move in order to fit him under the salary cap.
If it’s a so-called “bridge” contract, like the one PK Subban signed (two years, $5.75 million), they should be fine. If it’s a longer-term deal, a roster adjustment would likely be required.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)