Jul 30, 2013, 11:38 AM EST
One day before an arbitration hearing was scheduled, Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello has agreed to a one-year, $1.15 million contract for the 2013-14 season.
In 2013, Zuccarello, 25, had three goals and five assists in 15 regular-season games, followed by one goal and six assists in 12 postseason contests.
With Zuccarello’s deal done, attention will now turn to the Rangers’ most important restricted free agent, Derek Stepan.
Stepan, 23, doesn’t have arbitration rights. At last glance (July 17), there was reportedly no progress between the two sides.
From the New York Post:
Absent pressure points (or an unexpected offer sheet), negotiations with Stepan could well go into September and perhaps bleed into training camp.
Depending on the deal they strike with Stepan, the Rangers may need to make a move in order to fit him under the salary cap.
If it’s a so-called “bridge” contract, like the one PK Subban signed (two years, $5.75 million), they should be fine. If it’s a longer-term deal, a roster adjustment would likely be required.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)