Jul 30, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Since entering the NHL in 1991, the San Jose Sharks have never been to a Stanley Cup Final.
They’ve been close, sure — in fact, San Jose has won an impressive 10 playoff series over the last nine seasons. However, they’ve only managed to get as far as the Western Conference finals, losing to Calgary in 2004, Chicago in 2010 and Vancouver in 2011.
Along the way, they’ve developed a reputation for, well, to put it bluntly — choking.
But that doesn’t bother Joe Pavelski.
According to Pavelski’s agent, Daniel Plante, if the 29-year-old center didn’t believe the Sharks could finally get over the hump, he might not have signed a five-year contract extension tying him to the club through 2018-19.
“One of the things as we were going through these discussions, I asked Joe, ‘Do you believe this team can win a Stanley Cup?’ And without missing a beat, he emphatically said, ‘Yes,’” Plante said, per the Canadian Press. “So at that point in time it just became imperative that that’s where he wanted to be. He believes in the team, and then it was just finding a deal that worked for both sides.”
Next season figures to be a big one for the Sharks, with veterans Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle all in the final year of their contracts, after which they can become unrestricted free agents.
If there’s a big question mark, it’s the blue line. Boyle is 37 and in the twilight of his career. At some point, somebody will need to step up and replace the offensive push he provides from the back end. That, or general manager Doug Wilson will have to go out and acquire somebody who can.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 2
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 15
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 27
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 124
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (124)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)