Jul 30, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Per NHL.com, it’s unlikely Callahan will be 100 percent by the time training camp starts. Or even possibly before the season starts.
“As the schedule goes, it’s going to dip into training camp and it’s possible it could dip into the regular season, too,” Callahan said. “The biggest thing with this is the contact. I should be able to be fully skating and shooting in training camp, but it’s when you can take contact and I don’t think you know that until you get further on and they evaluate it and check it out. As of now, how the rehab is going, I’m right on schedule.”
In a related story, the injuries to Callahan and Hagelin could have an effect on the team’s negotiations with restricted free agent Derek Stepan.
There is no progress regarding talks with Derek Stepan, sources report. Stepan, the club’s first-line center, is a Group II free agent without arbitration rights. Absent pressure points (or an unexpected offer sheet), negotiations with Stepan could well go into September and perhaps bleed into training camp.
The Rangers will likely need to carry 15 forwards on their opening roster because of the post-labrum surgery rehab that will sideline both Ryan Callahan and Carl Hagelin for the first few weeks of the year — but not for enough time to qualify for long-term exemption — and the need to have a healthy spare available on the opening trip.
With 24 players under contract, the Rangers have around $2 million in cap space, according to CapGeek,
As we noted in the post about Mats Zuccarello agreeing to a one-year deal, if Stepan signs a so-called “bridge” contract, the Rangers should be fine. If it’s a longer-term deal with a higher cap hit, a roster adjustment — even if it’s just a minor one — may be required.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)