Jul 30, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche goaltender Semyon Varlamov has plenty of potential, but he hasn’t lived up to expectations in his first two seasons with the Colorado Avalanche. The good news is that he’s only 25 years old, so he can still rebound and have a long and successful career.
Enter Francois Allaire, the Avalanche’s newly hired goaltending coach who played a big role in the development of Patrick Roy and Jean-Sebastien Giguere and if Varlamov doubts that, he can listen to their testimonials.
“My career was going nowhere,” Giguere said, according to the Denver Post. “I immediately felt more confident. I revived my career with him.”
“I was very lucky that I met him. I have no doubt in my mind that he was a huge help in my career,” Roy said.
Of course, Roy is now the Avalanche’s head coach and the man who reached out to Allaire shortly after he got the gig. Giguere is in the twilight of his career and has been a solid backup for Colorado. Between the three of them, Varlamov has a wealth of knowledge to lean on, but it’s Allaire that’s expected to lead the charge to give Varlamov the “fresh start” he desires.
“I want him to be comfortable. That’s the main thing,” Allaire said. “After that, I want him to understand I’m not coming from a different planet. It’s the same stuff. We don’t want him to change everything. I’ve met with him a few times already.
“One of my trademarks is I try to make sure guys are feeling good and keep it simple, create good routine, make sure the guy is happy coming to the rink. Then after that, look at the tape and then find their best strength and build around it. I’m not there yet with Varly, but I expect that to come.”
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 16
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)