Jul 30, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche goaltender Semyon Varlamov has plenty of potential, but he hasn’t lived up to expectations in his first two seasons with the Colorado Avalanche. The good news is that he’s only 25 years old, so he can still rebound and have a long and successful career.
Enter Francois Allaire, the Avalanche’s newly hired goaltending coach who played a big role in the development of Patrick Roy and Jean-Sebastien Giguere and if Varlamov doubts that, he can listen to their testimonials.
“My career was going nowhere,” Giguere said, according to the Denver Post. “I immediately felt more confident. I revived my career with him.”
“I was very lucky that I met him. I have no doubt in my mind that he was a huge help in my career,” Roy said.
Of course, Roy is now the Avalanche’s head coach and the man who reached out to Allaire shortly after he got the gig. Giguere is in the twilight of his career and has been a solid backup for Colorado. Between the three of them, Varlamov has a wealth of knowledge to lean on, but it’s Allaire that’s expected to lead the charge to give Varlamov the “fresh start” he desires.
“I want him to be comfortable. That’s the main thing,” Allaire said. “After that, I want him to understand I’m not coming from a different planet. It’s the same stuff. We don’t want him to change everything. I’ve met with him a few times already.
“One of my trademarks is I try to make sure guys are feeling good and keep it simple, create good routine, make sure the guy is happy coming to the rink. Then after that, look at the tape and then find their best strength and build around it. I’m not there yet with Varly, but I expect that to come.”
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 10
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17