Jul 29, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
The 2013 season may have been the last for Steve Sullivan.
The veteran forward, who turned 39 in early July, said that while he’s not ready to officially announce his plans for the future, he’s very close to having reached a decision.
“I wouldn’t say 100%, but 99.9%,” he told the Timmins Daily Press about the possibility of retiring. “I’ve had an unbelievable run.”
Sullivan split last year between Phoenix and New Jersey — the Devils acquired him at the trade deadline — and he had a decent campaign, scoring 17 points in 42 games.
But with August creeping up and only “very informal” discussions with a few teams about employment for next season, Sullivan is ready to acknowledge his 17-year career could be coming to a close.
Sullivan appeared in over 1,000 NHL contests and enjoyed some banner seasons playing with Chicago and Nashville during the 2K era. He scored a career-high 34 goals with the Blackhawks in 2000-01 and, in the first year following the 2004-05 lockout, put up a 31-goal, 68-point effort in his first full season with the Predators.
(That’s not to say his half-season in Nashville wasn’t any good. After being acquired from Chicago during the 2003-04 season, he posted 30 points in 24 games.)
While he’s not looking to get into coaching anytime soon — “not a very stable position,” he says — Sullivan is hoping to remain active in the game.
“When the day comes, when we do announce the retirement, I definitely would love to stay in the game in some form, or fashion, for sure,” he explained.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 1
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 11
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56