Jul 29, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
The 2013 season may have been the last for Steve Sullivan.
The veteran forward, who turned 39 in early July, said that while he’s not ready to officially announce his plans for the future, he’s very close to having reached a decision.
“I wouldn’t say 100%, but 99.9%,” he told the Timmins Daily Press about the possibility of retiring. “I’ve had an unbelievable run.”
Sullivan split last year between Phoenix and New Jersey — the Devils acquired him at the trade deadline — and he had a decent campaign, scoring 17 points in 42 games.
But with August creeping up and only “very informal” discussions with a few teams about employment for next season, Sullivan is ready to acknowledge his 17-year career could be coming to a close.
Sullivan appeared in over 1,000 NHL contests and enjoyed some banner seasons playing with Chicago and Nashville during the 2K era. He scored a career-high 34 goals with the Blackhawks in 2000-01 and, in the first year following the 2004-05 lockout, put up a 31-goal, 68-point effort in his first full season with the Predators.
(That’s not to say his half-season in Nashville wasn’t any good. After being acquired from Chicago during the 2003-04 season, he posted 30 points in 24 games.)
While he’s not looking to get into coaching anytime soon — “not a very stable position,” he says — Sullivan is hoping to remain active in the game.
“When the day comes, when we do announce the retirement, I definitely would love to stay in the game in some form, or fashion, for sure,” he explained.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)