Jul 29, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Per CapGeek, the deal is worth $550,000 in the NHL and $150,000 in the AHL.
If you’re not familiar with Kearns’ story, it’s a good one. The 32-year-old son of former NHL d-man Dennis Kearns was never drafted; in fact, he never even played junior hockey.
Kearns wound up walking onto the hockey team at the University of Calgary, where he scored 83 points in four seasons while earning his degree in economics. After that, he earned a job with Toledo of the ECHL. Minor-league stops followed in Cleveland, Milwaukee, Norfolk, Reading, Rockford, San Antonio and Worcester. Kearns played five games for the Florida Panthers in 2011-02 before the one this season for the Sharks.
What’s kept him going?
“I feel like I’ve gotten better every year,” Kearns said. “That was the big thing. And I’ve been given new opportunities. New teams have taken chances on me. July 1 rolls around and you’re never sure if you’re going to be able to stay and play. I’ve been pretty lucky around that time. I’ve gotten calls from teams, and they’re pretty easy decisions. Europe’s not really an option for me. It doesn’t really appeal to me right now. My dream is to play in the NHL, and that’s where I’d like to be.”
Kearns finally made his NHL debut, for Florida, on Oct. 20, 2011. In 2013, he played one regular-season game for the Sharks and made seven playoff appearances.
While he’s yet to register a point in 13 NHL games (regular season and playoffs combined), he’s confident he can produce in the world’s best league.
“In the back of my mind I feel like I can be a difference-maker if given the opportunity,” he said. “That’s what I want to focus on. It’s good enough in a sense to go out and play like a fourth-liner, but it’s obviously even better if you can chip in here or there with a goal or an assist.”
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 1
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)