Jul 29, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
The 2013 NHL Entry Draft was no shining moment for Czech hockey.
In all, just four players who were born in the Czech Republic were selected — not one of them in the first three rounds.
In addition, all four draftees played their junior hockey in the CHL, as opposed to the Czech Extraliga, the highest league in the country.
In response, the Czech Ice Hockey Association, along with all 14 Extraliga teams, have announced some significant rule changes for the 2013-14 season that are intended to keep young players from leaving for other leagues.
The new regulations will be as follows and are applicable to any team participating in the Extraliga:
- A maximum of 15 players born 1990 or earlier are allowed in a game for each team.
- A team should have at least 3 players born between 1991 and 1993 on the game roster.
- A team should have at least 1 player born 1994 or later on the game roster.
- Both goaltenders are exempt from any of the rules above.
In addition to above rules, the teams will receive six import licences that they can use throughout the whole season. As soon as any non-Czech player has been registered on the line-up, one of the licences will be consumed, regardless of the fact whether the player will hit the ice or not.
According to Szymon Szemberg of the IIHF, it’s hoped above all that the new regulations will stem the flow of top Czech prospects to the CHL.
The Czech Republic won Olympic gold in 1998; however, the country has managed just one Olympic bronze — in 2006 — since then.
In 2010, the Czechs finished seventh, losing to Finland, 2-0, in the quarterfinals.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)