Jul 29, 2013, 5:38 PM EST
As we noted in the post about Zach Bogosian signing with the Jets, only two restricted free agents that filed for arbitration remain headed for a hearing — Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello (hearing Wednesday) and Leafs defenseman Mark Fraser (hearing Tuesday).
However, there remains a lengthy list of noteworthy RFAs without arbitration rights that still don’t have a contract for 2013-14 — a list that includes Alex Pietrangelo, Derek Stepan, Adam Henrique, Marcus Johansson, Nazem Kadri, Cody Franson, Cody Hodgson, Jared Cowan, Magnus Paajarvi, and Chris Tanev.
It’s no huge surprise that any of the above players remain unsigned. There’s still plenty of time before training camp starts and the real poker game begins.
This past season, Montreal defenseman PK Subban didn’t agree to a new contract with the Canadiens until he’d missed four games of the regular season. Subban went on to win the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s best blue-liner.
The year before, it was Drew Doughty and the Los Angeles Kings that engaged in a prolonged negotiation. The Kings, of course, went on to win the Stanley Cup.
That’s not to say every negotiation will end up with the two sides coming to an agreement. The Leafs, for example, could reportedly be forced to trade Franson.
There also remains the possibility of an RFA signing an offer sheet, as Nashville defenseman Shea Weber did last year with the Flyers before the Predators matched.
Granted, offer sheets aren’t typically presented unless there’s a reasonable chance of actually landing the player. And with that in mind, there doesn’t seem to be a prime candidate for one this summer.
But if we had to pick a vulnerable team, it may be the Toronto Maple Leafs, with both Franson and Kadri still unsigned (plus Fraser) and not a ton of cap space with which to work.
The Rangers are another team that’s close to the cap; however, the chances of New York allowing Stepan to get signed away are practically nil.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:55 PM EST
He’s been released from the hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:02 PM EST
Alexey Marchenko scored his first career goal.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:34 PM EST
That gives some teams extra roster flexibility.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
Was injured on a hit from Seth Jones.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been the subject of trade rumors lately.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST
The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
He’s being evaluated in hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST
Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)