Jul 29, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
With minimal roster losses from its Stanley Cup-winning team, the Chicago Blackhawks have a real shot at becoming the first repeat champion in the NHL since the Detroit Red Wings went back-to-back in 1997 and 1998.
In fact, online bookmaker Bovada thinks the ‘Hawks have the best Cup chances of all 30 teams in 2013-14.
Following is the full list of odds:
Chicago Blackhawks 6/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 13/2
Boston Bruins 10/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
St. Louis Blues 12/1
Detroit Red Wings 16/1
Vancouver Canucks 16/1
San Jose Sharks 18/1
Edmonton Oilers 20/1
Minnesota Wild 20/1
New York Rangers 20/1
Anaheim Ducks 22/1
Montreal Canadiens 25/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 25/1
Washington Capitals 25/1
Philadelphia Flyers 28/1
New York Islanders 33/1
Ottawa Senators 33/1
Carolina Hurricanes 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 40/1
Dallas Stars 40/1
New Jersey Devils 40/1
Nashville Predators 50/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
Phoenix Coyotes 66/1
Buffalo Sabres 100/1
Calgary Flames 100/1
Florida Panthers 150/1
A few thoughts:
—- Can’t really argue with the ‘Hawks at 6/1. The one concern may be the center position, particularly after Dave Bolland was traded to Toronto. Remember, it was already a concern with Michal Handzus centering the second line heading into the playoffs. Could Brandon Saad fill that role?
—- Even with all its young talent, Edmonton at 20/1 seems rather optimistic considering the Oilers haven’t made the playoffs since 2006. Is Boyd Gordon that good?
—- For a long shot, you could do worse than Tampa Bay at 50/1. If the Lightning can get better goaltending than they got last season, they could make the playoffs and go on a run. We all know they can put the puck in the net.
—- Is Buffalo so bad that the Sabres deserve to be tied with Calgary for second-biggest underdog? We suppose it depends what happens with Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller. If those two are traded for picks/prospects, the answer may be yes. Otherwise, it’s worth noting the Sabres finished 2013 quite well, going 8-4-0 in April. They badly need Tyler Myers to find his game again.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)