Jul 29, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
With minimal roster losses from its Stanley Cup-winning team, the Chicago Blackhawks have a real shot at becoming the first repeat champion in the NHL since the Detroit Red Wings went back-to-back in 1997 and 1998.
In fact, online bookmaker Bovada thinks the ‘Hawks have the best Cup chances of all 30 teams in 2013-14.
Following is the full list of odds:
Chicago Blackhawks 6/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 13/2
Boston Bruins 10/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
St. Louis Blues 12/1
Detroit Red Wings 16/1
Vancouver Canucks 16/1
San Jose Sharks 18/1
Edmonton Oilers 20/1
Minnesota Wild 20/1
New York Rangers 20/1
Anaheim Ducks 22/1
Montreal Canadiens 25/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 25/1
Washington Capitals 25/1
Philadelphia Flyers 28/1
New York Islanders 33/1
Ottawa Senators 33/1
Carolina Hurricanes 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 40/1
Dallas Stars 40/1
New Jersey Devils 40/1
Nashville Predators 50/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
Phoenix Coyotes 66/1
Buffalo Sabres 100/1
Calgary Flames 100/1
Florida Panthers 150/1
A few thoughts:
—- Can’t really argue with the ‘Hawks at 6/1. The one concern may be the center position, particularly after Dave Bolland was traded to Toronto. Remember, it was already a concern with Michal Handzus centering the second line heading into the playoffs. Could Brandon Saad fill that role?
—- Even with all its young talent, Edmonton at 20/1 seems rather optimistic considering the Oilers haven’t made the playoffs since 2006. Is Boyd Gordon that good?
—- For a long shot, you could do worse than Tampa Bay at 50/1. If the Lightning can get better goaltending than they got last season, they could make the playoffs and go on a run. We all know they can put the puck in the net.
—- Is Buffalo so bad that the Sabres deserve to be tied with Calgary for second-biggest underdog? We suppose it depends what happens with Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller. If those two are traded for picks/prospects, the answer may be yes. Otherwise, it’s worth noting the Sabres finished 2013 quite well, going 8-4-0 in April. They badly need Tyler Myers to find his game again.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
The contest will air on Dec. 31 while the Classic itself is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Jan. 1.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Staying healthy would help, too.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
The Seal Beach Detention Center isn’t exactly Shawshank.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
“I relaxed down there and came back with the same attitude and everything kind of took care of itself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Veteran forward had just four goals and six assists in 74 games last season.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
“So hopefully it’s nothing that keeps coming back.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Can he give the Oilers the goaltending they so badly need?
Jul 29, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
The 26-year-old goalie is coming off a tough season.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Spent last season with Lugano in the Swiss League.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Y’know, everyday stuff.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Jul 28, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Potentially a move to Switzerland, or the Czech League.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Returning him to Rochester for a third time.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
Washington d-man is expected to miss the next two weeks of offseason training.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
Swiss winger came over from Calgary at last year’s deadline.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Nice payday after posting a career-high in goals this season.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
“When you look at the structure of our salaries and our cap, it’s important to get those bottom-six cap hits in better shape.”
Jul 28, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
With the Nurnberg Ice Tigers.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Winning bid to be decided by the end of the year.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
“When the games mean something, that’s when he’s at his best.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 9
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)