Jul 29, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish made a curious move a couple weeks ago when he handed 29-year-old defensemean Denis Grebeshkov a one-year, one-way contract worth $1.5 million.
Grebeshkov is an offensive defenseman who previously spent parts of three seasons with Edmonton from 2007-10 before heading briefly to Nashville and then the KHL. The problem is that he didn’t do particularly well in the KHL, recording just eight points in each of his last two seasons.
Inking Grebeshkov also gives them seven defensemen signed to one-way contracts, not including Justin Schultz, who will almost certainly make the team, and Anton Belov, who was far better than Grebeshkov in the KHL.
So why did MacTavish sign Grebeshkov in the first place? In part because he thinks Grebeshkov has something to prove.
“What I see with him is he had a bit of a rocky year last year in the KHL, but he’s coming back as soon as we get his immigration (worked out) and he’ll be training virtually the whole month of August here,” MacTavish said.
“He’s going to be highly motivated on just a one-year deal and I’m sure he wants to make a career over here. He’ll be a good role model for Yak (Russian forward Nail Yakupov). Denis is a hell of a guy.”
MacTavish was the head coach of the Oilers during most of Grebeshkov’s tenure with the team and MacTavish has “always liked Denis.”
MacTavish added that Belov could be a pretty good defensive partner for Grebeshkov, so clearly he still thinks Belov has a shot of making the team. Unless the Oilers make a trade this summer, they’ll be going into training camp with a significant defensive logjam.
- In praise of John Tavares 9
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 17
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31