Jul 29, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish made a curious move a couple weeks ago when he handed 29-year-old defensemean Denis Grebeshkov a one-year, one-way contract worth $1.5 million.
Grebeshkov is an offensive defenseman who previously spent parts of three seasons with Edmonton from 2007-10 before heading briefly to Nashville and then the KHL. The problem is that he didn’t do particularly well in the KHL, recording just eight points in each of his last two seasons.
Inking Grebeshkov also gives them seven defensemen signed to one-way contracts, not including Justin Schultz, who will almost certainly make the team, and Anton Belov, who was far better than Grebeshkov in the KHL.
So why did MacTavish sign Grebeshkov in the first place? In part because he thinks Grebeshkov has something to prove.
“What I see with him is he had a bit of a rocky year last year in the KHL, but he’s coming back as soon as we get his immigration (worked out) and he’ll be training virtually the whole month of August here,” MacTavish said.
“He’s going to be highly motivated on just a one-year deal and I’m sure he wants to make a career over here. He’ll be a good role model for Yak (Russian forward Nail Yakupov). Denis is a hell of a guy.”
MacTavish was the head coach of the Oilers during most of Grebeshkov’s tenure with the team and MacTavish has “always liked Denis.”
MacTavish added that Belov could be a pretty good defensive partner for Grebeshkov, so clearly he still thinks Belov has a shot of making the team. Unless the Oilers make a trade this summer, they’ll be going into training camp with a significant defensive logjam.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 12
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 36
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)