Jul 29, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish made a curious move a couple weeks ago when he handed 29-year-old defensemean Denis Grebeshkov a one-year, one-way contract worth $1.5 million.
Grebeshkov is an offensive defenseman who previously spent parts of three seasons with Edmonton from 2007-10 before heading briefly to Nashville and then the KHL. The problem is that he didn’t do particularly well in the KHL, recording just eight points in each of his last two seasons.
Inking Grebeshkov also gives them seven defensemen signed to one-way contracts, not including Justin Schultz, who will almost certainly make the team, and Anton Belov, who was far better than Grebeshkov in the KHL.
So why did MacTavish sign Grebeshkov in the first place? In part because he thinks Grebeshkov has something to prove.
“What I see with him is he had a bit of a rocky year last year in the KHL, but he’s coming back as soon as we get his immigration (worked out) and he’ll be training virtually the whole month of August here,” MacTavish said.
“He’s going to be highly motivated on just a one-year deal and I’m sure he wants to make a career over here. He’ll be a good role model for Yak (Russian forward Nail Yakupov). Denis is a hell of a guy.”
MacTavish was the head coach of the Oilers during most of Grebeshkov’s tenure with the team and MacTavish has “always liked Denis.”
MacTavish added that Belov could be a pretty good defensive partner for Grebeshkov, so clearly he still thinks Belov has a shot of making the team. Unless the Oilers make a trade this summer, they’ll be going into training camp with a significant defensive logjam.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)