Jul 29, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish made a curious move a couple weeks ago when he handed 29-year-old defensemean Denis Grebeshkov a one-year, one-way contract worth $1.5 million.
Grebeshkov is an offensive defenseman who previously spent parts of three seasons with Edmonton from 2007-10 before heading briefly to Nashville and then the KHL. The problem is that he didn’t do particularly well in the KHL, recording just eight points in each of his last two seasons.
Inking Grebeshkov also gives them seven defensemen signed to one-way contracts, not including Justin Schultz, who will almost certainly make the team, and Anton Belov, who was far better than Grebeshkov in the KHL.
So why did MacTavish sign Grebeshkov in the first place? In part because he thinks Grebeshkov has something to prove.
“What I see with him is he had a bit of a rocky year last year in the KHL, but he’s coming back as soon as we get his immigration (worked out) and he’ll be training virtually the whole month of August here,” MacTavish said.
“He’s going to be highly motivated on just a one-year deal and I’m sure he wants to make a career over here. He’ll be a good role model for Yak (Russian forward Nail Yakupov). Denis is a hell of a guy.”
MacTavish was the head coach of the Oilers during most of Grebeshkov’s tenure with the team and MacTavish has “always liked Denis.”
MacTavish added that Belov could be a pretty good defensive partner for Grebeshkov, so clearly he still thinks Belov has a shot of making the team. Unless the Oilers make a trade this summer, they’ll be going into training camp with a significant defensive logjam.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)