Jul 29, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Forward Bryan Bickell could be forgiven if the Chicago Blackhawks’ 2010 Stanley Cup victory left him feeling less than fulfilled. He was just starting to find his footing in the NHL at that time, so he was limited to 16 regular season contests and four playoff games with Chicago during that run.
As a result, Bickell wasn’t one of the players that got his name on the Stanley Cup in 2010.
“From being a part of that 2010 team and having everything but that one thing, that stuck in my head for a while,” Bickell told CSN Chicago. “It just pushed me even more to get my name on it.”
This time around, there was no question that Bickell was playing an important role with Chicago. He was solid in the regular season, but found another level in the playoffs with nine goals and 17 points in 23 games.
That’s been part of an amazing summer for the 27-year-old with him getting married and going from a three-year, $1.63 million contract to his new four-year, $16 million agreement.
“This summer’s going to be one to remember, from the Cup to a wedding to a new contract,” Bickell said. “I’m just happy to be a part of it.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (67)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)