Jul 28, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
The Winnipeg Free Press points out that Cheveldayoff began the offseason with decisions to make on nine RFA “regulars,” but now only needs to settle things with the 22-year-old defenseman. The key, then, is to avoid a salary arbitration hearing scheduled for this coming Friday (Aug. 2).
As this June post discusses, Bogosian’s role has increased with the Jets, especially now that he seemingly put injury concerns behind him. Still, his value remains a question mark; Hockey Reference draws similarities to Luke Schenn and Niklas Hjalmarsson, for what it’s worth.
Assuming the Jets sign Bogosian one way or another, it’s clear that the structure of this team is in place.
Some will label that a job well done by Cheveldayoff.
Others, including a writer at Jets blog Arctic Ice Hockey, wonder how much progress has really been made, going as far as to call this essentially the same team that Cheveldayoff inherited from former GM Rick Dudley.
Wherever you might stand, it’s clear that the Jets hope to improve from within, which means that they’re counting on more progress from guys like Bogosian (assuming he signs).
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)