Jul 28, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Free Press points out that Cheveldayoff began the offseason with decisions to make on nine RFA “regulars,” but now only needs to settle things with the 22-year-old defenseman. The key, then, is to avoid a salary arbitration hearing scheduled for this coming Friday (Aug. 2).
As this June post discusses, Bogosian’s role has increased with the Jets, especially now that he seemingly put injury concerns behind him. Still, his value remains a question mark; Hockey Reference draws similarities to Luke Schenn and Niklas Hjalmarsson, for what it’s worth.
Assuming the Jets sign Bogosian one way or another, it’s clear that the structure of this team is in place.
Some will label that a job well done by Cheveldayoff.
Others, including a writer at Jets blog Arctic Ice Hockey, wonder how much progress has really been made, going as far as to call this essentially the same team that Cheveldayoff inherited from former GM Rick Dudley.
Wherever you might stand, it’s clear that the Jets hope to improve from within, which means that they’re counting on more progress from guys like Bogosian (assuming he signs).
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)