Jul 28, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Free Press points out that Cheveldayoff began the offseason with decisions to make on nine RFA “regulars,” but now only needs to settle things with the 22-year-old defenseman. The key, then, is to avoid a salary arbitration hearing scheduled for this coming Friday (Aug. 2).
As this June post discusses, Bogosian’s role has increased with the Jets, especially now that he seemingly put injury concerns behind him. Still, his value remains a question mark; Hockey Reference draws similarities to Luke Schenn and Niklas Hjalmarsson, for what it’s worth.
Assuming the Jets sign Bogosian one way or another, it’s clear that the structure of this team is in place.
Some will label that a job well done by Cheveldayoff.
Others, including a writer at Jets blog Arctic Ice Hockey, wonder how much progress has really been made, going as far as to call this essentially the same team that Cheveldayoff inherited from former GM Rick Dudley.
Wherever you might stand, it’s clear that the Jets hope to improve from within, which means that they’re counting on more progress from guys like Bogosian (assuming he signs).
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 1
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)