Jul 28, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
Bill Guerin and Doug Weight are the biggest names of the 2013 U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame class, but that’s not their only bond. They were also part of the American team that upset Canada to win the 1996 World Cup of Hockey.
Weight was stunned to learn that this moment resonated with members of the 1980 “Miracle on Ice” team, as NHL.com reported on Thursday.
“I was just talking to [1980 U.S. Olympic captain] Mike Eruzione and he told me that our [team] had just as much importance as their team,” Weight said. “For him to say that kind of opened my eyes to the fact maybe we do have something to do with these guys coming up.”
A resounding 13 members of that World Cup roster are now in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.
Guerin believes that moment was pivotal in how the United States views its chances of competing with the top countries, particularly Canada.
“Canada set the bar, and we had been beaten by them a number of times and were pushed around by them,” Guerin said. “I just felt the attitude change. Not that we were better, but that we could win and we had an answer for them this time. In 1996, it was just a completely different attitude to where we didn’t care who we were going up against. We felt we were the best. The Canadians had big guys, but we had big guys. They had skill, but so did we.”
“To say I’m proud of that moment would be an understatement,” Weight said.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)