Jul 28, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
Bill Guerin and Doug Weight are the biggest names of the 2013 U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame class, but that’s not their only bond. They were also part of the American team that upset Canada to win the 1996 World Cup of Hockey.
Weight was stunned to learn that this moment resonated with members of the 1980 “Miracle on Ice” team, as NHL.com reported on Thursday.
“I was just talking to [1980 U.S. Olympic captain] Mike Eruzione and he told me that our [team] had just as much importance as their team,” Weight said. “For him to say that kind of opened my eyes to the fact maybe we do have something to do with these guys coming up.”
A resounding 13 members of that World Cup roster are now in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.
Guerin believes that moment was pivotal in how the United States views its chances of competing with the top countries, particularly Canada.
“Canada set the bar, and we had been beaten by them a number of times and were pushed around by them,” Guerin said. “I just felt the attitude change. Not that we were better, but that we could win and we had an answer for them this time. In 1996, it was just a completely different attitude to where we didn’t care who we were going up against. We felt we were the best. The Canadians had big guys, but we had big guys. They had skill, but so did we.”
“To say I’m proud of that moment would be an understatement,” Weight said.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)