Jul 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Restricted free agent Mark Fraser and the Toronto Maple Leafs have differing opinions on what he should be paid next season.
So far this summer we haven’t seen any cases get that far, but the situation the Leafs are in could make things uncomfortable. If an arbitrator splits the difference, Fraser is looking around $1.4 million next season. An award like that would also mean the Leafs can’t walk away from it either.
While Toronto doesn’t have to worry about arbitration with Nazem Kadri, they do have to get him re-signed and will likely have to give him a raise to do that. Adding to that, if the team wanted to retain Cody Franson, something they may not do, it’s possible he could land a deal in the range of $3-$4 million per season. If that happens, then Toronto’s cap situation gets dicey fast.
Time for GM Dave Nonis to show why he was given a five-year extension.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 55
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 89
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 85
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)