Jul 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Restricted free agent Mark Fraser and the Toronto Maple Leafs have differing opinions on what he should be paid next season.
So far this summer we haven’t seen any cases get that far, but the situation the Leafs are in could make things uncomfortable. If an arbitrator splits the difference, Fraser is looking around $1.4 million next season. An award like that would also mean the Leafs can’t walk away from it either.
While Toronto doesn’t have to worry about arbitration with Nazem Kadri, they do have to get him re-signed and will likely have to give him a raise to do that. Adding to that, if the team wanted to retain Cody Franson, something they may not do, it’s possible he could land a deal in the range of $3-$4 million per season. If that happens, then Toronto’s cap situation gets dicey fast.
Time for GM Dave Nonis to show why he was given a five-year extension.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17