Jul 28, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
It seems like Ales Hemsky has been dangled in trade rumors forever in Edmonton. Now that he’s got one year left in his contract (with a $5 million cap hit) and the Oilers have less than $2 million in cap space, it seems he’s more popular than ever with rumormongers.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal spitballed a few ideas for teams who might be interested in the 29 year-old winger and thinks Ottawa makes the most sense.
The Ottawa Senators would seem the most likely to reach out to MacTavish on Hemsky because they lost right-winger/captain,soul of the franchise Daniel Alfredsson to Detroit when free-agency opened. They also traded Swede Jakob Silfverberg to get Bobby Ryan from Anaheim and might move him to right side from his usual left. After Ryan it’s third-liner Chris Neil, Eric Condra and J. Pageau, and they do have more than $11 million in cap room. But, maybe Sens’ owner Eugene Melnyk wants to save money not spend more.
Intriguing thought here and Matheson says Colin Greening is a guy who could go back to Edmonton in return. After all, the Oilers could use a guy with some grit.
There’s that money issue, however, and if that is a problem for the Sens, that makes it a little trickier as Hemsky is owed $5.5 million this season. If the Oilers want to free up their cap worries, Ottawa’s cash worries (if they exist) would be a big sticking point.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)