Jul 28, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
It seems like Ales Hemsky has been dangled in trade rumors forever in Edmonton. Now that he’s got one year left in his contract (with a $5 million cap hit) and the Oilers have less than $2 million in cap space, it seems he’s more popular than ever with rumormongers.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal spitballed a few ideas for teams who might be interested in the 29 year-old winger and thinks Ottawa makes the most sense.
The Ottawa Senators would seem the most likely to reach out to MacTavish on Hemsky because they lost right-winger/captain,soul of the franchise Daniel Alfredsson to Detroit when free-agency opened. They also traded Swede Jakob Silfverberg to get Bobby Ryan from Anaheim and might move him to right side from his usual left. After Ryan it’s third-liner Chris Neil, Eric Condra and J. Pageau, and they do have more than $11 million in cap room. But, maybe Sens’ owner Eugene Melnyk wants to save money not spend more.
Intriguing thought here and Matheson says Colin Greening is a guy who could go back to Edmonton in return. After all, the Oilers could use a guy with some grit.
There’s that money issue, however, and if that is a problem for the Sens, that makes it a little trickier as Hemsky is owed $5.5 million this season. If the Oilers want to free up their cap worries, Ottawa’s cash worries (if they exist) would be a big sticking point.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)