Chicago’s Shaw admits he’s ‘not the best hockey player’

Jul 28, 2013, 9:34 AM EST

Andrew Shaw AP

Chicago’s Andrew Shaw showed up on the scene in a big way during the Blackhawks’ run to the Stanley Cup. Whether he was mixing it up with the opposing team or scoring a big goal, you couldn’t miss him.

During the Blackhawks’ convention in Chicago, Shaw tells Nina Falcone of CSNChicago.com being an underdog of sorts motivates him to be better.

“I pushed myself. I push myself to the limit and I never give up,” he said. “I work hard, every time I was on the ice I played every shift like it was my last. I just competed and did the best to my abilities every chance I got and every time I touched the ice, I was always working on something.

“I’ve got a lot to work on still, I’m not the best hockey player, I just have to keep working hard and every time I touch that ice I have to push myself as best I can.”

He may have found his stride in the playoffs as he went from having nine goals and 15 points in the regular season to five goals and nine points in the postseason. If that’s more like the guy we’ll see next season, Chicago will have yet another weapon at their disposal to frustrate and beat opponents.

Latest Posts
  1. Rangers take the positives out of OT loss to Red Wings

Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST

Cam Talbot AP

Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.

2. Video: Hammond, Senators win again

Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST

Ottawa Senators v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

What a roll he and the Sens are on.

3. Video: Iginla reaches 20-goal mark for 16th time in NHL career

Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST

Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche

He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.

4. Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST

Marek Zidlicky, Jesper Fast AP

What better way to make an impression on new teammates.

5. Video: Byfuglien leaves game with upper-body injury

Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Dustin Byfuglien Getty

Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.

6. Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley

Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST

MartinDaley

Also, for causing “significant injury.”

7. NHL GMs to address emergency goalie rule following Florida incident

Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya Getty Images

“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”

8. Julien talks up Bergeron as next Bruins captain

Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST

patricebergerongetty Getty Images

“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”

9. Get your game notes: Rangers at Wings, Rivalry Night

Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzogi1mdrmnjbmndc0odgwmzmyyzm5mmi3zdzjodlj AP

An Original Six matchup at the Joe.

10. Season over? Clarkson out 4-6 weeks with torn oblique muscle

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.

11. TVR to play this weekend for Rockford (AHL)

Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST

Trevor van Riemsdyk Getty Images

‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.

Reactions from NHL trade deadline