Jul 28, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
While Brad Richards sputtered and Rick Nash struggled in the 2013 playoffs, Derick Brassard carried over his post-trade momentum with 12 points in 12 postseason games. Overall, he made a fantastic first impression on the New York Rangers.
Still, he admitted to Blueshirts United on Friday that his departure from the Columbus Blue Jackets was a bit overwhelming, although the condensed schedule allowed him to avoid too many distractions.
“I was in one point in my career – I’m 25 years old now – that I needed a change and I felt like in New York, I needed to prove myself,” Brassard said. “One thing I noticed is that I was not thinking too much on the ice, I was just playing. And that’s my game.”
The skilled forward hopes to play big minutes and be a “huge part” of the team in 2013-14. It’s not surprising that he gave the Alain Vigneault hire a thumbs up, then.
“I think all the guys are pretty excited about it,” Brassard said.
Brassard reflects on the trade – including needing to use Jeff Halpern‘s gloves last season – and anticipates the 2013-14 season in the video below.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)