Jul 28, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
While Brad Richards sputtered and Rick Nash struggled in the 2013 playoffs, Derick Brassard carried over his post-trade momentum with 12 points in 12 postseason games. Overall, he made a fantastic first impression on the New York Rangers.
Still, he admitted to Blueshirts United on Friday that his departure from the Columbus Blue Jackets was a bit overwhelming, although the condensed schedule allowed him to avoid too many distractions.
“I was in one point in my career – I’m 25 years old now – that I needed a change and I felt like in New York, I needed to prove myself,” Brassard said. “One thing I noticed is that I was not thinking too much on the ice, I was just playing. And that’s my game.”
The skilled forward hopes to play big minutes and be a “huge part” of the team in 2013-14. It’s not surprising that he gave the Alain Vigneault hire a thumbs up, then.
“I think all the guys are pretty excited about it,” Brassard said.
Brassard reflects on the trade – including needing to use Jeff Halpern‘s gloves last season – and anticipates the 2013-14 season in the video below.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)