Jul 28, 2013, 10:12 PM EST
While Brad Richards sputtered and Rick Nash struggled in the 2013 playoffs, Derick Brassard carried over his post-trade momentum with 12 points in 12 postseason games. Overall, he made a fantastic first impression on the New York Rangers.
Still, he admitted to Blueshirts United on Friday that his departure from the Columbus Blue Jackets was a bit overwhelming, although the condensed schedule allowed him to avoid too many distractions.
“I was in one point in my career – I’m 25 years old now – that I needed a change and I felt like in New York, I needed to prove myself,” Brassard said. “One thing I noticed is that I was not thinking too much on the ice, I was just playing. And that’s my game.”
The skilled forward hopes to play big minutes and be a “huge part” of the team in 2013-14. It’s not surprising that he gave the Alain Vigneault hire a thumbs up, then.
“I think all the guys are pretty excited about it,” Brassard said.
Brassard reflects on the trade – including needing to use Jeff Halpern‘s gloves last season – and anticipates the 2013-14 season in the video below.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)