Jul 27, 2013, 2:12 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks were happy enough with forward Jordan Schroeder‘s performance during his 31 NHL games last season to hand him a one-year, one-way contract. If he wants a longer term deal though, he’ll have to prove his worth in 2013-14.
That task will be made all the more difficult after he underwent shoulder surgery in May, although the hope is that he’ll be ready for training camp.
“My physiotherapist says I’m way ahead of schedule,” Schroeder told the Vancouver Province. “I’m skating again, though I haven’t been doing any shooting yet.”
He’s probably going to serve as a bottom-six forward and under new coach John Tortorella, the 5-foot-9 skilled forward will be asked to add more of a physical element to his game.
“I’ve got to find a way to be scrappier,” Schroeder admitted. “That’s something I want to add.”
The 22-year-old was selected with the 22nd overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. In addition to recording nine points with Vancouver last season, he had 12 goals and 21 assists in 42 AHL contests.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)