Jul 27, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks were happy enough with forward Jordan Schroeder‘s performance during his 31 NHL games last season to hand him a one-year, one-way contract. If he wants a longer term deal though, he’ll have to prove his worth in 2013-14.
That task will be made all the more difficult after he underwent shoulder surgery in May, although the hope is that he’ll be ready for training camp.
“My physiotherapist says I’m way ahead of schedule,” Schroeder told the Vancouver Province. “I’m skating again, though I haven’t been doing any shooting yet.”
He’s probably going to serve as a bottom-six forward and under new coach John Tortorella, the 5-foot-9 skilled forward will be asked to add more of a physical element to his game.
“I’ve got to find a way to be scrappier,” Schroeder admitted. “That’s something I want to add.”
The 22-year-old was selected with the 22nd overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. In addition to recording nine points with Vancouver last season, he had 12 goals and 21 assists in 42 AHL contests.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)