Jul 27, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks were happy enough with forward Jordan Schroeder‘s performance during his 31 NHL games last season to hand him a one-year, one-way contract. If he wants a longer term deal though, he’ll have to prove his worth in 2013-14.
That task will be made all the more difficult after he underwent shoulder surgery in May, although the hope is that he’ll be ready for training camp.
“My physiotherapist says I’m way ahead of schedule,” Schroeder told the Vancouver Province. “I’m skating again, though I haven’t been doing any shooting yet.”
He’s probably going to serve as a bottom-six forward and under new coach John Tortorella, the 5-foot-9 skilled forward will be asked to add more of a physical element to his game.
“I’ve got to find a way to be scrappier,” Schroeder admitted. “That’s something I want to add.”
The 22-year-old was selected with the 22nd overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. In addition to recording nine points with Vancouver last season, he had 12 goals and 21 assists in 42 AHL contests.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)