Jul 27, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks must recover from the wounds of their 2013 Stanley Cup run in an unusually short offseason, but so far, it looks like the team should be pretty healthy at the beginning of next season.
On Friday, it was revealed that Michal Handzus‘ two surgeries went well. The Chicago Tribune reports that Patrick Sharp is recovering nicely from his shoulder injury while Bryan Bickell is healing up from thumb surgery.
Bickell, 27, said he played through the pain during the playoffs, but things didn’t get truly gruesome until after the season was over, as trainer Mike Gapski witnessed.
“I picked up my hockey bag and it just popped,” Bickell said. “Gapski was right there and he was like, ‘Uh oh, this is not good.’ I couldn’t move my thumb. They had to take a tendon out of my finger to put in my thumb. I’m just recovering now.”
Yeah, that’s pretty gross. Bickell said he should be ready for the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
Sharp, 31, doesn’t expect to undergo surgery on his banged-up left shoulder. He’s getting it checked this weekend.
“No surgery,” Sharp said. “Just some rehab to strengthen it and fix it up. Everything is on schedule.”
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 9
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)