Jul 27, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks must recover from the wounds of their 2013 Stanley Cup run in an unusually short offseason, but so far, it looks like the team should be pretty healthy at the beginning of next season.
On Friday, it was revealed that Michal Handzus‘ two surgeries went well. The Chicago Tribune reports that Patrick Sharp is recovering nicely from his shoulder injury while Bryan Bickell is healing up from thumb surgery.
Bickell, 27, said he played through the pain during the playoffs, but things didn’t get truly gruesome until after the season was over, as trainer Mike Gapski witnessed.
“I picked up my hockey bag and it just popped,” Bickell said. “Gapski was right there and he was like, ‘Uh oh, this is not good.’ I couldn’t move my thumb. They had to take a tendon out of my finger to put in my thumb. I’m just recovering now.”
Yeah, that’s pretty gross. Bickell said he should be ready for the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
Sharp, 31, doesn’t expect to undergo surgery on his banged-up left shoulder. He’s getting it checked this weekend.
“No surgery,” Sharp said. “Just some rehab to strengthen it and fix it up. Everything is on schedule.”
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (109)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)