Jul 27, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks must recover from the wounds of their 2013 Stanley Cup run in an unusually short offseason, but so far, it looks like the team should be pretty healthy at the beginning of next season.
On Friday, it was revealed that Michal Handzus‘ two surgeries went well. The Chicago Tribune reports that Patrick Sharp is recovering nicely from his shoulder injury while Bryan Bickell is healing up from thumb surgery.
Bickell, 27, said he played through the pain during the playoffs, but things didn’t get truly gruesome until after the season was over, as trainer Mike Gapski witnessed.
“I picked up my hockey bag and it just popped,” Bickell said. “Gapski was right there and he was like, ‘Uh oh, this is not good.’ I couldn’t move my thumb. They had to take a tendon out of my finger to put in my thumb. I’m just recovering now.”
Yeah, that’s pretty gross. Bickell said he should be ready for the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
Sharp, 31, doesn’t expect to undergo surgery on his banged-up left shoulder. He’s getting it checked this weekend.
“No surgery,” Sharp said. “Just some rehab to strengthen it and fix it up. Everything is on schedule.”
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (61)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)