Jul 27, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks must recover from the wounds of their 2013 Stanley Cup run in an unusually short offseason, but so far, it looks like the team should be pretty healthy at the beginning of next season.
On Friday, it was revealed that Michal Handzus‘ two surgeries went well. The Chicago Tribune reports that Patrick Sharp is recovering nicely from his shoulder injury while Bryan Bickell is healing up from thumb surgery.
Bickell, 27, said he played through the pain during the playoffs, but things didn’t get truly gruesome until after the season was over, as trainer Mike Gapski witnessed.
“I picked up my hockey bag and it just popped,” Bickell said. “Gapski was right there and he was like, ‘Uh oh, this is not good.’ I couldn’t move my thumb. They had to take a tendon out of my finger to put in my thumb. I’m just recovering now.”
Yeah, that’s pretty gross. Bickell said he should be ready for the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
Sharp, 31, doesn’t expect to undergo surgery on his banged-up left shoulder. He’s getting it checked this weekend.
“No surgery,” Sharp said. “Just some rehab to strengthen it and fix it up. Everything is on schedule.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 4
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 106
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)