Jul 27, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
The ECHL Wheeling Nailers will continue their affiliation with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Pittsburgh through the 2013-14 campaign, according to the Penguins’ website.
This will be the 15th consecutive season that the Nailers have worked with the Penguins. They are also tied to the Montreal Canadiens.
“We are excited to continue our relationship with the Penguins and their AHL affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins,” said Nailers Governor Don Rigby. “We look forward to continuing to develop their young talent here in Wheeling.”
Over the years, 12 Wheeling players have ended up playing for Pittsburgh, including goaltenders Brad Thiessen and Tomas Vokoun. Additionally, there were 12 players in 2012-13 that participated in games with both Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Wheeling.
“The Nailers have been a great asset for player development over the years, and we are looking forward to maintaining a successful affiliation,” Penguins assistant GM Jason Botterill said.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 8
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6