Jul 27, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
The ECHL Wheeling Nailers will continue their affiliation with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Pittsburgh through the 2013-14 campaign, according to the Penguins’ website.
This will be the 15th consecutive season that the Nailers have worked with the Penguins. They are also tied to the Montreal Canadiens.
“We are excited to continue our relationship with the Penguins and their AHL affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins,” said Nailers Governor Don Rigby. “We look forward to continuing to develop their young talent here in Wheeling.”
Over the years, 12 Wheeling players have ended up playing for Pittsburgh, including goaltenders Brad Thiessen and Tomas Vokoun. Additionally, there were 12 players in 2012-13 that participated in games with both Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Wheeling.
“The Nailers have been a great asset for player development over the years, and we are looking forward to maintaining a successful affiliation,” Penguins assistant GM Jason Botterill said.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)