Jul 27, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
The ECHL Wheeling Nailers will continue their affiliation with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Pittsburgh through the 2013-14 campaign, according to the Penguins’ website.
This will be the 15th consecutive season that the Nailers have worked with the Penguins. They are also tied to the Montreal Canadiens.
“We are excited to continue our relationship with the Penguins and their AHL affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins,” said Nailers Governor Don Rigby. “We look forward to continuing to develop their young talent here in Wheeling.”
Over the years, 12 Wheeling players have ended up playing for Pittsburgh, including goaltenders Brad Thiessen and Tomas Vokoun. Additionally, there were 12 players in 2012-13 that participated in games with both Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Wheeling.
“The Nailers have been a great asset for player development over the years, and we are looking forward to maintaining a successful affiliation,” Penguins assistant GM Jason Botterill said.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11