Jul 27, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
The ECHL Wheeling Nailers will continue their affiliation with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Pittsburgh through the 2013-14 campaign, according to the Penguins’ website.
This will be the 15th consecutive season that the Nailers have worked with the Penguins. They are also tied to the Montreal Canadiens.
“We are excited to continue our relationship with the Penguins and their AHL affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins,” said Nailers Governor Don Rigby. “We look forward to continuing to develop their young talent here in Wheeling.”
Over the years, 12 Wheeling players have ended up playing for Pittsburgh, including goaltenders Brad Thiessen and Tomas Vokoun. Additionally, there were 12 players in 2012-13 that participated in games with both Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Wheeling.
“The Nailers have been a great asset for player development over the years, and we are looking forward to maintaining a successful affiliation,” Penguins assistant GM Jason Botterill said.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6