Jul 27, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
At 24, Patrick Kane has already experienced some of the most dramatic highs and lows that a pro hockey player can go through.
He’s one of the faces of American hockey, a two-time champion and the reigning Conn Smythe winner, but there’s no doubt that he’s drawn some negative attention off the ice. With that in mind, he told the Chicago Tribune that he’s having fun this summer … but not too much of it.
“Just try to relax, try to enjoy it,” Kane said. “You know, try to keep myself out of trouble.”
He understands that his past experiences can make him an easy target for candid cell phone photos and tabloid-style headlines.
“It’s hard to the point where there’s so much social media and so much cameras and people who want to take pictures where anything you do is going to be under the microscope and people are going to record it,” Kane said. “Something even minor I do is going to be reported because of things that have happened in the past. You have to be aware of that.”
The young forward already sounds like he’s developing some veteran savvy, noting that he’s getting more adept at avoiding trouble.
“It seems to be easier these days as you get older,” Kane said. “You’re obviously going to have your fun. You still feel like a young kid, but with what has happened in the first six years of my career, I still can prove a lot more as a player and maybe accomplish some more things with this team.”
Kane notes that he’s skated about five times so far this summer, so it sounds like he’s starting to shift from play to work mode.
(Not that he can’t mix a little of both.)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)