Jul 27, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
In a salary cap age, the difference between being a deep team vs. a top-heavy squad often comes down to signing players at discount rates before they blossom.*
With that notion in mind, the Edmonton Journal’s David Staples argues that the Edmonton Oilers should lock up Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Justin Schultz and Jeff Petry long-term right now instead of waiting for their current deals to expire next summer.
Nugent-Hopkins, Schultz and Petry are all restricted free agents next summer. They all had just OK seasons in 2013, if you go by the traditional NHL statistics like points and goals plus-minus. Their value and salary expectations will likely be higher next summer.
How much more will Nugent-Hopkins cost if he puts up a point a game, if Schultz gets 55 or 60 points, and if Petry thrives against tough competition in a two-way role?
Staples estimates that Nugent-Hopkins and Schultz might draw eight-year, $42 million deals while Petry could fetch $24 million over six.
There’s no doubt that the Oilers would be rolling the dice by signing young players without much of a sample size, but as Tuukka Rask showed with the Boston Bruins, a promising young talent can make a team pay big time in a “show me” season.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 12
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 36
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)