Jul 27, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
Colby Armstrong was selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first round of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft and after some seasoning in the minors, he broke out with 40 points in 47 games as a rookie.
He’s had some solid seasons in the NHL since then, but has never been able to relive that initial success. Now, after two rough seasons, he’s taking his services to the Vaxjo Lakers of the Swedish League.
The 30-year-old forward announced the move on Twitter and was extremely positive about the news and what he’s accomplished.
“Honestly gotta say it’s been a great ride over here,” Armstrong tweeted. “What a life. Thanks to all the fans in all the cities I’ve played in here.
“I grew up like any kid dreaming to play in the NHL I got to do it and also Montreal was my favorite team growing up and I got to wear the CH.
“Honestly though, this has been a great journey so far. My family and I are so thankful and now making this move to Sweden is so amazing.”
Armstrong signed a three-year, $9 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the summer of 2010, but he was bought out after recording three points in 29 games in 2011-12. He then went to the Montreal Canadiens where he had five points in 37 contests.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)