Jul 27, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
Colby Armstrong was selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first round of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft and after some seasoning in the minors, he broke out with 40 points in 47 games as a rookie.
He’s had some solid seasons in the NHL since then, but has never been able to relive that initial success. Now, after two rough seasons, he’s taking his services to the Vaxjo Lakers of the Swedish League.
The 30-year-old forward announced the move on Twitter and was extremely positive about the news and what he’s accomplished.
“Honestly gotta say it’s been a great ride over here,” Armstrong tweeted. “What a life. Thanks to all the fans in all the cities I’ve played in here.
“I grew up like any kid dreaming to play in the NHL I got to do it and also Montreal was my favorite team growing up and I got to wear the CH.
“Honestly though, this has been a great journey so far. My family and I are so thankful and now making this move to Sweden is so amazing.”
Armstrong signed a three-year, $9 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the summer of 2010, but he was bought out after recording three points in 29 games in 2011-12. He then went to the Montreal Canadiens where he had five points in 37 contests.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)