Jul 27, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
Colby Armstrong was selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first round of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft and after some seasoning in the minors, he broke out with 40 points in 47 games as a rookie.
He’s had some solid seasons in the NHL since then, but has never been able to relive that initial success. Now, after two rough seasons, he’s taking his services to the Vaxjo Lakers of the Swedish League.
The 30-year-old forward announced the move on Twitter and was extremely positive about the news and what he’s accomplished.
“Honestly gotta say it’s been a great ride over here,” Armstrong tweeted. “What a life. Thanks to all the fans in all the cities I’ve played in here.
“I grew up like any kid dreaming to play in the NHL I got to do it and also Montreal was my favorite team growing up and I got to wear the CH.
“Honestly though, this has been a great journey so far. My family and I are so thankful and now making this move to Sweden is so amazing.”
Armstrong signed a three-year, $9 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the summer of 2010, but he was bought out after recording three points in 29 games in 2011-12. He then went to the Montreal Canadiens where he had five points in 37 contests.
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 6
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 14
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)