Jul 26, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
The stick that Wayne Gretzky scored his 1,000th lifetime goal with is going up for auction, as per a report from the Canadian Press.
As per Stephen Whyno of the Canadian Press, when Gretzky scored the goal in the spring of 1974, he signed the stick and gave it to Ron St. Amand, who passed away last year at the age of 73.
Ron St. Amand’s son, Rick, spoke recently about the stick and it going up for auction.
“The uniqueness of this stick is the fact that it’s probably one of the more important pieces of Wayne’s early history,” Rick St. Amand told the Canadian Press.
“Pretty remarkable that even at 13 he was taking almost an adult position of signing the stick and giving it to someone he cares for.”
According to Whyno, bidding for the stick through Heritage Auctions is set to close Aug. 1.
Gretzky, The Great One, is the all-time top scorer in NHL history. Over the course of his career, he scored an astounding 894 goals and 2,857 points in 1,487 NHL regular season games.
He also had 122 goals and 382 points in 208 career NHL playoff games.
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 0
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)