Jul 26, 2013, 2:13 PM EST
This summer’s U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp will have a decidedly NHL feel.
On Thursday, USA Hockey announced that Lightning head coach Jon Cooper will be one of four coaches for August’s NJEC, along with Kurt Kleindorst (head coach of Minnesota’s AHL affiliate in Iowa), Bob Motzko (St. Cloud State) and Greg Brown (Boston College).
The evaluation camp will take place Aug. 3-10 in Lake Placid, N.Y. and feature teams from the U.S., Canada, Finland and Sweden. It’ll be the biggest showcase of junior-level talent prior to the 2014 Worlds, which will be held in Malmo, Sweden beginning on Dec. 26.
Cooper, 45, took over the Tampa Bay job after Guy Boucher was fired in late March.
Prior to his gig with the Lightning, Cooper enjoyed major success with AHL Norfolk/Syracuse, winning the Calder Cup and Louis A. R. Pieri award as the league’s top coach in 2012.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 80
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 96
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (96)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)