Jul 26, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
In what may be foreshadowing their odds of making NHL rosters this fall, Nashville’s Filip Forsberg and Carolina’s Elias Lindholm have been dropped from Team Sweden’s entry at USA Hockey’s National Junior Evaluation Camp.
The pair were two of the biggest names from Sweden’s original roster, released on July 19.
Forsberg, taken 11th overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, made his NHL debut with Nashville last season, appearing in five games while averaging 15:29 TOI per game as an 18-year-old.
Lindholm — Carolina’s first-round pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, fifth overall — is the highest-drafted Swede since Gabriel Landeskog went No. 2 in 2011.
Lindholm is expected to make the ‘Canes roster this fall.
“The opportunity is there to start with the Hurricanes,” GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer. “I would be shocked if he doesn’t based on all the reports and what I’ve seen.”
As such, many figure Team Sweden has removed the pair to look at players with an actual chance of being available for selection.
The U.S. NJEC runs from Aug. 3-10 and will feature four countries — the United States, Sweden, Canada and Finland. It will be the first major look at junior-level talent prior to the 2014 World Championships, which get underway on Dec. 26 from Malmo, Sweden.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)