Jul 26, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
In what may be foreshadowing their odds of making NHL rosters this fall, Nashville’s Filip Forsberg and Carolina’s Elias Lindholm have been dropped from Team Sweden’s entry at USA Hockey’s National Junior Evaluation Camp.
The pair were two of the biggest names from Sweden’s original roster, released on July 19.
Forsberg, taken 11th overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, made his NHL debut with Nashville last season, appearing in five games while averaging 15:29 TOI per game as an 18-year-old.
Lindholm — Carolina’s first-round pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, fifth overall — is the highest-drafted Swede since Gabriel Landeskog went No. 2 in 2011.
Lindholm is expected to make the ‘Canes roster this fall.
“The opportunity is there to start with the Hurricanes,” GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer. “I would be shocked if he doesn’t based on all the reports and what I’ve seen.”
As such, many figure Team Sweden has removed the pair to look at players with an actual chance of being available for selection.
The U.S. NJEC runs from Aug. 3-10 and will feature four countries — the United States, Sweden, Canada and Finland. It will be the first major look at junior-level talent prior to the 2014 World Championships, which get underway on Dec. 26 from Malmo, Sweden.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)