Jul 26, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
In what may be foreshadowing their odds of making NHL rosters this fall, Nashville’s Filip Forsberg and Carolina’s Elias Lindholm have been dropped from Team Sweden’s entry at USA Hockey’s National Junior Evaluation Camp.
The pair were two of the biggest names from Sweden’s original roster, released on July 19.
Forsberg, taken 11th overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, made his NHL debut with Nashville last season, appearing in five games while averaging 15:29 TOI per game as an 18-year-old.
Lindholm — Carolina’s first-round pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, fifth overall — is the highest-drafted Swede since Gabriel Landeskog went No. 2 in 2011.
Lindholm is expected to make the ‘Canes roster this fall.
“The opportunity is there to start with the Hurricanes,” GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer. “I would be shocked if he doesn’t based on all the reports and what I’ve seen.”
As such, many figure Team Sweden has removed the pair to look at players with an actual chance of being available for selection.
The U.S. NJEC runs from Aug. 3-10 and will feature four countries — the United States, Sweden, Canada and Finland. It will be the first major look at junior-level talent prior to the 2014 World Championships, which get underway on Dec. 26 from Malmo, Sweden.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)