Jul 26, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators have agreed to terms with former Northeastern University forward Ludwig Karlsson on a two-year, two-way deal, the club announced on Friday.
Financial terms of the contract are not yet clear. RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports the deal has an average annual value of $832,500, while Capgeek reports Karlsson’s cap hit could reach $1.475 million with various bonuses.
Karlsson, 22, is from Sweden but spent the last few years playing in North America — two seasons with USHL Green Bay, followed by two at Northeastern.
The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder burst onto the NCAA scene as a freshman in 2011-12, scoring a team-high 26 points in 32 games. Injuries derailed his sophomore campaign (Karlsson only played 17 games) but didn’t diminish interest from pro teams.
Prior to signing with Ottawa, Karlsson attended Nashville’s prospects camp in early July and took part in the Anaheim Ducks development camp in 2012.
(Image courtesy Hockey East)
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 3
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 12
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 22
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)