Jul 26, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets and forward Blake Wheeler have agreed to terms on a new contract.
News of the deal broke Friday evening. The Jets have made it official, announcing the deal on Twitter and again in a press release.
It is a six-year contract for Wheeler, worth $33.6 million.
“Blake is very comfortable with the direction (general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff), ownership and his staff is taking the organization,” Wheeler’s agent Matt Keator told Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun.
“It’s a very good core that will keep growing together in the years to come.”
Wheeler, 26, is coming off a deal with Winnipeg that paid him a total of $5.1 million over two years, according to Capgeek.com.
This season with the Jets, Wheeler had 19 goals and 41 points in 48 games played.
His 19 goals led the Jets in that department, while he finished second overall on the team in points.
Wheeler is scheduled to speak to media on Saturday morning.
Thrilled to be a Jet for 6 more years—
Blake Wheeler (@BiggieFunke) July 27, 2013
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 24
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)