Jul 26, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets and forward Blake Wheeler have agreed to terms on a new contract.
News of the deal broke Friday evening. The Jets have made it official, announcing the deal on Twitter and again in a press release.
It is a six-year contract for Wheeler, worth $33.6 million.
“Blake is very comfortable with the direction (general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff), ownership and his staff is taking the organization,” Wheeler’s agent Matt Keator told Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun.
“It’s a very good core that will keep growing together in the years to come.”
Wheeler, 26, is coming off a deal with Winnipeg that paid him a total of $5.1 million over two years, according to Capgeek.com.
This season with the Jets, Wheeler had 19 goals and 41 points in 48 games played.
His 19 goals led the Jets in that department, while he finished second overall on the team in points.
Wheeler is scheduled to speak to media on Saturday morning.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)