Jul 26, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler will have a hearing with the IIHF Disciplinary Committee in Zurich, Switzerland, on Saturday, and his fate with Team Sweden in the 2014 Olympics could be in jeopardy.
This is according to a report from Mats Wennerholm of the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.
Edler will be accompanied in the hearing by his agent, Mark Stowe, and Tommy Boustedt, director of hockey development and national teams with the Swedish Ice Hockey Association.
Edler was suspended two games – the remainder of the championship tournament. According to Wennerholm, the IIHF Disciplinary Committee recommended a five-game ban.
It’s possible that his suspension could then spill over into the men’s ice hockey competition at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Edler and his representatives in this case will appeal for a shorter suspension.
“I have with me video footage to show that it was not as bad as it looked. The damage to the Eric Staal was not so serious that we thought from the beginning,” Boustedt told Aftonbladet, as per Google Translate.
In an online statement released by the IIHF following the initial suspension in May, “Any additional suspension, exceeding the duration of the tournament, will be handled by the disciplinary panel to the IIHF Disciplinary Committee.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 16
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)