Jul 26, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler will have a hearing with the IIHF Disciplinary Committee in Zurich, Switzerland, on Saturday, and his fate with Team Sweden in the 2014 Olympics could be in jeopardy.
This is according to a report from Mats Wennerholm of the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.
Edler will be accompanied in the hearing by his agent, Mark Stowe, and Tommy Boustedt, director of hockey development and national teams with the Swedish Ice Hockey Association.
Edler was suspended two games – the remainder of the championship tournament. According to Wennerholm, the IIHF Disciplinary Committee recommended a five-game ban.
It’s possible that his suspension could then spill over into the men’s ice hockey competition at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Edler and his representatives in this case will appeal for a shorter suspension.
“I have with me video footage to show that it was not as bad as it looked. The damage to the Eric Staal was not so serious that we thought from the beginning,” Boustedt told Aftonbladet, as per Google Translate.
In an online statement released by the IIHF following the initial suspension in May, “Any additional suspension, exceeding the duration of the tournament, will be handled by the disciplinary panel to the IIHF Disciplinary Committee.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)