Jul 26, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler will have a hearing with the IIHF Disciplinary Committee in Zurich, Switzerland, on Saturday, and his fate with Team Sweden in the 2014 Olympics could be in jeopardy.
This is according to a report from Mats Wennerholm of the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.
Edler will be accompanied in the hearing by his agent, Mark Stowe, and Tommy Boustedt, director of hockey development and national teams with the Swedish Ice Hockey Association.
Edler was suspended two games – the remainder of the championship tournament. According to Wennerholm, the IIHF Disciplinary Committee recommended a five-game ban.
It’s possible that his suspension could then spill over into the men’s ice hockey competition at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Edler and his representatives in this case will appeal for a shorter suspension.
“I have with me video footage to show that it was not as bad as it looked. The damage to the Eric Staal was not so serious that we thought from the beginning,” Boustedt told Aftonbladet, as per Google Translate.
In an online statement released by the IIHF following the initial suspension in May, “Any additional suspension, exceeding the duration of the tournament, will be handled by the disciplinary panel to the IIHF Disciplinary Committee.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)