Jul 26, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler will have a hearing with the IIHF Disciplinary Committee in Zurich, Switzerland, on Saturday, and his fate with Team Sweden in the 2014 Olympics could be in jeopardy.
This is according to a report from Mats Wennerholm of the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.
Edler will be accompanied in the hearing by his agent, Mark Stowe, and Tommy Boustedt, director of hockey development and national teams with the Swedish Ice Hockey Association.
Edler was suspended two games – the remainder of the championship tournament. According to Wennerholm, the IIHF Disciplinary Committee recommended a five-game ban.
It’s possible that his suspension could then spill over into the men’s ice hockey competition at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Edler and his representatives in this case will appeal for a shorter suspension.
“I have with me video footage to show that it was not as bad as it looked. The damage to the Eric Staal was not so serious that we thought from the beginning,” Boustedt told Aftonbladet, as per Google Translate.
In an online statement released by the IIHF following the initial suspension in May, “Any additional suspension, exceeding the duration of the tournament, will be handled by the disciplinary panel to the IIHF Disciplinary Committee.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 17
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)