Jul 26, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov has reportedly drawn interest from Admiral Vlaidvostok of the Kontinental Hockey League, according to Russian news outlet Sport Express.
Based on a Google translation of the piece, Admiral’s president — longtime NHLer Alex Mogilny — says the ex-Flyers netminder has been invited to join his expansion club (Admiral will begin its first season of KHL play in 2013-14), but concedes it might not have the necessary funds to sign Byrzgalov.
Here’s the translation:
Q: Olympic list Zinetula Bilyaletdinov saw? It does not have goalie Bryzgalov …
Mogilny: List seen. And about Bryzgalov can only say good words. A great goalkeeper. You do not have to hang on him all the dogs for the defeat at the World Cup.
Q: But in “Philadelphia,” his case was abysmal …
Mogilny: Who told you that? You know how many games last season, he won and how many lost? Saying that his contract bought out – so it’s financial policy of the American team. Bryzgalov is now without a club, and I am pleased to have invited him to “Admiral”.
However, we are not a rich club, so I do not know whether he will accept our terms and conditions.
The “Olympic list” bit is in reference to Bryzgalov not being one of the five goalies named to Russia’s selection roster. Three NHLers were — Sergei Bobrovsky, Semyon Varlamov, Evgeni Nabokov — along with KHL Metallurg’s Vasily Koshechkin and AK Bars’ Konstantin Barulin.
UPDATE: According to Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov, some context appears to have been lost in translation. Mogilny apparently said the club would be interested in Bryzgalov (or a netminder of his calibre), but no formal offer had been tabled.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)