Jul 26, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov has reportedly drawn interest from Admiral Vlaidvostok of the Kontinental Hockey League, according to Russian news outlet Sport Express.
Based on a Google translation of the piece, Admiral’s president — longtime NHLer Alex Mogilny — says the ex-Flyers netminder has been invited to join his expansion club (Admiral will begin its first season of KHL play in 2013-14), but concedes it might not have the necessary funds to sign Byrzgalov.
Here’s the translation:
Q: Olympic list Zinetula Bilyaletdinov saw? It does not have goalie Bryzgalov …
Mogilny: List seen. And about Bryzgalov can only say good words. A great goalkeeper. You do not have to hang on him all the dogs for the defeat at the World Cup.
Q: But in “Philadelphia,” his case was abysmal …
Mogilny: Who told you that? You know how many games last season, he won and how many lost? Saying that his contract bought out – so it’s financial policy of the American team. Bryzgalov is now without a club, and I am pleased to have invited him to “Admiral”.
However, we are not a rich club, so I do not know whether he will accept our terms and conditions.
The “Olympic list” bit is in reference to Bryzgalov not being one of the five goalies named to Russia’s selection roster. Three NHLers were — Sergei Bobrovsky, Semyon Varlamov, Evgeni Nabokov — along with KHL Metallurg’s Vasily Koshechkin and AK Bars’ Konstantin Barulin.
UPDATE: According to Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov, some context appears to have been lost in translation. Mogilny apparently said the club would be interested in Bryzgalov (or a netminder of his calibre), but no formal offer had been tabled.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)