Jul 26, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov has reportedly drawn interest from Admiral Vlaidvostok of the Kontinental Hockey League, according to Russian news outlet Sport Express.
Based on a Google translation of the piece, Admiral’s president — longtime NHLer Alex Mogilny — says the ex-Flyers netminder has been invited to join his expansion club (Admiral will begin its first season of KHL play in 2013-14), but concedes it might not have the necessary funds to sign Byrzgalov.
Here’s the translation:
Q: Olympic list Zinetula Bilyaletdinov saw? It does not have goalie Bryzgalov …
Mogilny: List seen. And about Bryzgalov can only say good words. A great goalkeeper. You do not have to hang on him all the dogs for the defeat at the World Cup.
Q: But in “Philadelphia,” his case was abysmal …
Mogilny: Who told you that? You know how many games last season, he won and how many lost? Saying that his contract bought out – so it’s financial policy of the American team. Bryzgalov is now without a club, and I am pleased to have invited him to “Admiral”.
However, we are not a rich club, so I do not know whether he will accept our terms and conditions.
The “Olympic list” bit is in reference to Bryzgalov not being one of the five goalies named to Russia’s selection roster. Three NHLers were — Sergei Bobrovsky, Semyon Varlamov, Evgeni Nabokov — along with KHL Metallurg’s Vasily Koshechkin and AK Bars’ Konstantin Barulin.
UPDATE: According to Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov, some context appears to have been lost in translation. Mogilny apparently said the club would be interested in Bryzgalov (or a netminder of his calibre), but no formal offer had been tabled.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)