Jul 26, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Paul Martin is hoping to be named to Team USA’s Olympic roster yet again, but under different circumstances.
Martin joined the squad in 2006, but never got any ice time. That was at the start of his NHL career though and after making a name for himself with the New Jersey Devils, his standing was higher for the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver.
Unfortunately Martin sustained a broken arm and had to watch the tournament from start until it ended with Canada’s Sidney Crosby scoring the overtime winner against America in the gold medal game.
There’s no doubt in Team USA GM David Poile’s mind that Martin would have played in 2010 if he wasn’t hurt.
“It was definitely tough being named to the team and having to watch because of an injury,” Martin told the McKeesport Daily News. “Especially after traveling to Torino for the Olympics four years earlier.”
This time around, Martin, 32, is coming off of a strong season and has been invited to USA Hockey’s Olympic orientation camp. He’s also guaranteed to be watched closely during the season, given that Penguins GM Ray Shero is America’s associate GM and Penguins coach Dan Bylsma will serve as his country’s Olympic bench boss.
So if he stays sharp and healthy, he should finally do something that has alluded him by playing in an Olympic game.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)