Jul 26, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Toronto winger Joffrey Lupul isn’t mincing words about being left off Team Canada’s 47-man roster for August’s Olympic orientation camp.
“I was very disappointed,” Lupul told the Toronto Sun on Thursday. “In my mind, it’s a place I thought I would be.”
Despite missing 32 games last year with a broken forearm, concussion and suspension, Lupul still enjoyed a good amount of success.
He scored 11 goals and 18 points in 16 regular-season games, then scored three times against Boston in an opening-round playoff loss.
That, combined with 67 points in 66 games in 2011-12, was enough for Toronto to give Lupul a five-year, $26.25 million extension just days into the 2013 campaign.
Lupul admits that while he thought he deserved to be invited to camp — and is aware he could still play himself into the mix — he knows it’ll be tough making the final roster.
“There are so many talented players on the list that you can’t point at any names and say they don’t deserve to be there,” he explained. “Let’s face it, you could probably pencil in a lineup right now.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)