Jul 26, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Toronto winger Joffrey Lupul isn’t mincing words about being left off Team Canada’s 47-man roster for August’s Olympic orientation camp.
“I was very disappointed,” Lupul told the Toronto Sun on Thursday. “In my mind, it’s a place I thought I would be.”
Despite missing 32 games last year with a broken forearm, concussion and suspension, Lupul still enjoyed a good amount of success.
He scored 11 goals and 18 points in 16 regular-season games, then scored three times against Boston in an opening-round playoff loss.
That, combined with 67 points in 66 games in 2011-12, was enough for Toronto to give Lupul a five-year, $26.25 million extension just days into the 2013 campaign.
Lupul admits that while he thought he deserved to be invited to camp — and is aware he could still play himself into the mix — he knows it’ll be tough making the final roster.
“There are so many talented players on the list that you can’t point at any names and say they don’t deserve to be there,” he explained. “Let’s face it, you could probably pencil in a lineup right now.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)