Jul 26, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Toronto winger Joffrey Lupul isn’t mincing words about being left off Team Canada’s 47-man roster for August’s Olympic orientation camp.
“I was very disappointed,” Lupul told the Toronto Sun on Thursday. “In my mind, it’s a place I thought I would be.”
Despite missing 32 games last year with a broken forearm, concussion and suspension, Lupul still enjoyed a good amount of success.
He scored 11 goals and 18 points in 16 regular-season games, then scored three times against Boston in an opening-round playoff loss.
That, combined with 67 points in 66 games in 2011-12, was enough for Toronto to give Lupul a five-year, $26.25 million extension just days into the 2013 campaign.
Lupul admits that while he thought he deserved to be invited to camp — and is aware he could still play himself into the mix — he knows it’ll be tough making the final roster.
“There are so many talented players on the list that you can’t point at any names and say they don’t deserve to be there,” he explained. “Let’s face it, you could probably pencil in a lineup right now.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)