Jul 26, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks made the heavily-rumored Joel Quenneville contract extension official on Friday, inking their head coach to a three-year deal.
“I’m privileged to coach probably the best group in the league,” Quenneville said during today’s presser.
The new contract will kick in at the end of Quenneville’s current deal, set to expire after the 2013-14 season. That means Coach Q will — barring an early dismissal — be in Chicago until 2017.
This new pact has some familiarity to it as Quenneville, 54, also signed a three-year extension in 2010 after winning the Cup snapping the Blackhawks’ 49-year championship drought.
The former St. Louis and Colorado bench boss has achieved huge success in the Windy City since taking over the ‘Hawks head coaching gig from Denis Savard just four games into the 2008-09 season.
This past season, Quenneville earned his first Jack Adams nomination as Blackhawks head coach — he won one in 2000 with the Blues — after leading Chicago to just its second-ever Presidents’ Trophy.
Over the course of his five seasons with the ‘Hawks, Quenneville has racked up 222 wins — second most in franchise history.
That said, Coach Q still has a ways to go before catching franchise leader Billy Reay, who coached the ‘Hawks from 1963-76 and racked up 516 career wins.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Tremendous gesture from the Penguins organization.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
NHL Insider joined Kathryn Tappen live in studio.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Blueliner’s had zero luck in the health department.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Two teams that, how should we say, care not for one another.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
“We had no choice but to.”
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
He won’t travel with the club for its upcoming three-game road swing through Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
He’ll be in for the Kings when they host Buffalo tomorrow.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Having already sat out last night’s win over Philly.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
No word yet on a makeup date.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Anders Lee on his way up?
Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
He’ll join Norfolk on a PTO.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Senators still scheduled to host the Maple Leafs tonight.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Flyers-Blackhawks game.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 0
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 1
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 26
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)