Jul 26, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks made the heavily-rumored Joel Quenneville contract extension official on Friday, inking their head coach to a three-year deal.
“I’m privileged to coach probably the best group in the league,” Quenneville said during today’s presser.
The new contract will kick in at the end of Quenneville’s current deal, set to expire after the 2013-14 season. That means Coach Q will — barring an early dismissal — be in Chicago until 2017.
This new pact has some familiarity to it as Quenneville, 54, also signed a three-year extension in 2010 after winning the Cup snapping the Blackhawks’ 49-year championship drought.
The former St. Louis and Colorado bench boss has achieved huge success in the Windy City since taking over the ‘Hawks head coaching gig from Denis Savard just four games into the 2008-09 season.
This past season, Quenneville earned his first Jack Adams nomination as Blackhawks head coach — he won one in 2000 with the Blues — after leading Chicago to just its second-ever Presidents’ Trophy.
Over the course of his five seasons with the ‘Hawks, Quenneville has racked up 222 wins — second most in franchise history.
That said, Coach Q still has a ways to go before catching franchise leader Billy Reay, who coached the ‘Hawks from 1963-76 and racked up 516 career wins.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 14
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 37
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)