Jul 26, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
Washington Capitals prospect Evgeny Kuznetsov could pull an Ilya Kovalchuk and return to Russia once he hits 30 years of age.
Interesting in that the now 21-year-old Kuznetsov, the Capitals first-round pick from the 2010 NHL Draft, has actually yet to play a game in the National Hockey League, or in any league outside of Russia.
He has spent three previous seasons with Traktor Chelyabinsk in the KHL.
Earlier this month, Russian superstar Ilya Kovalchuk retired from the NHL at the age of 30.
A few days later, the KHL’s SKA Saint Petersburg announced it had signed Kovalchuk to a four-year contract.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 23
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25