Jul 26, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have made an interesting free agent pickup, signing former Buffalo forward Nathan Gerbe to a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000.
“Nathan has had success on the NHL level and should compete for a job with the Hurricanes during training camp,” said ‘Canes VP of Hockey Operations Ron Francis.
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo before receiving a buyout (regular, not compliance) in early June.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
Gerbe’s best season came in 2010-11, when he scored a career-high 16 goals and 31 points, finishing fifth on the team in goals.
The former Boston College standout should have a decent shot of cracking the ‘Canes roster next season. Carolina currently has just 11 forwards under contract for next season though a 12th, first-round draft pick Elias Lindholm, has signed his entry-level deal and is expected to play at the NHL level right away.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)