Jul 26, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have made an interesting free agent pickup, signing former Buffalo forward Nathan Gerbe to a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000.
“Nathan has had success on the NHL level and should compete for a job with the Hurricanes during training camp,” said ‘Canes VP of Hockey Operations Ron Francis.
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo before receiving a buyout (regular, not compliance) in early June.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
Gerbe’s best season came in 2010-11, when he scored a career-high 16 goals and 31 points, finishing fifth on the team in goals.
The former Boston College standout should have a decent shot of cracking the ‘Canes roster next season. Carolina currently has just 11 forwards under contract for next season though a 12th, first-round draft pick Elias Lindholm, has signed his entry-level deal and is expected to play at the NHL level right away.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)