Jul 26, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have made an interesting free agent pickup, signing former Buffalo forward Nathan Gerbe to a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000.
“Nathan has had success on the NHL level and should compete for a job with the Hurricanes during training camp,” said ‘Canes VP of Hockey Operations Ron Francis.
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo before receiving a buyout (regular, not compliance) in early June.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
Gerbe’s best season came in 2010-11, when he scored a career-high 16 goals and 31 points, finishing fifth on the team in goals.
The former Boston College standout should have a decent shot of cracking the ‘Canes roster next season. Carolina currently has just 11 forwards under contract for next season though a 12th, first-round draft pick Elias Lindholm, has signed his entry-level deal and is expected to play at the NHL level right away.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)