Jul 26, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have made an interesting free agent pickup, signing former Buffalo forward Nathan Gerbe to a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000.
“Nathan has had success on the NHL level and should compete for a job with the Hurricanes during training camp,” said ‘Canes VP of Hockey Operations Ron Francis.
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo before receiving a buyout (regular, not compliance) in early June.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
Gerbe’s best season came in 2010-11, when he scored a career-high 16 goals and 31 points, finishing fifth on the team in goals.
The former Boston College standout should have a decent shot of cracking the ‘Canes roster next season. Carolina currently has just 11 forwards under contract for next season though a 12th, first-round draft pick Elias Lindholm, has signed his entry-level deal and is expected to play at the NHL level right away.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)