Jul 26, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Michal Handzus paid a heavy price to win a Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks, but he should be healthy for training camp.
According to Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago, the 36-year-old Handzus required not one, but two surgeries following the Stanley Cup Final, after playing the championship series against the Boston Bruins with a broken wrist and a torn MCL.
“I had two surgeries, but I’m healing and it’s coming along,” Handzus told ESPN Chicago.
“Right now, wrist, I still can’t do anything. It’s in a cast for one more week. After four weeks, I’m going to start to do something. It’s a little bit slower. My knee, it’s pretty much I’m rehabbing right now.
“[The doctors] are saying [I’ll be ready for training camp.]”
The Blackhawks picked up the veteran center prior to the NHL trade deadline in a deal with the San Jose Sharks.
His contributions – at least what we saw in the stats column – to the Blackhawks championship playoff run includedthree goals and 11 points in 23 games.
He also stepped into a second-line center role, with Dave Bolland injured in the post-season.
The Blackhawks, based on his performance during the playoffs, re-signed Handzus earlier this month.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)