Jul 26, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Michal Handzus paid a heavy price to win a Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks, but he should be healthy for training camp.
According to Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago, the 36-year-old Handzus required not one, but two surgeries following the Stanley Cup Final, after playing the championship series against the Boston Bruins with a broken wrist and a torn MCL.
“I had two surgeries, but I’m healing and it’s coming along,” Handzus told ESPN Chicago.
“Right now, wrist, I still can’t do anything. It’s in a cast for one more week. After four weeks, I’m going to start to do something. It’s a little bit slower. My knee, it’s pretty much I’m rehabbing right now.
“[The doctors] are saying [I’ll be ready for training camp.]”
The Blackhawks picked up the veteran center prior to the NHL trade deadline in a deal with the San Jose Sharks.
His contributions – at least what we saw in the stats column – to the Blackhawks championship playoff run includedthree goals and 11 points in 23 games.
He also stepped into a second-line center role, with Dave Bolland injured in the post-season.
The Blackhawks, based on his performance during the playoffs, re-signed Handzus earlier this month.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)