Jul 26, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Michal Handzus paid a heavy price to win a Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks, but he should be healthy for training camp.
According to Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago, the 36-year-old Handzus required not one, but two surgeries following the Stanley Cup Final, after playing the championship series against the Boston Bruins with a broken wrist and a torn MCL.
“I had two surgeries, but I’m healing and it’s coming along,” Handzus told ESPN Chicago.
“Right now, wrist, I still can’t do anything. It’s in a cast for one more week. After four weeks, I’m going to start to do something. It’s a little bit slower. My knee, it’s pretty much I’m rehabbing right now.
“[The doctors] are saying [I’ll be ready for training camp.]”
The Blackhawks picked up the veteran center prior to the NHL trade deadline in a deal with the San Jose Sharks.
His contributions – at least what we saw in the stats column – to the Blackhawks championship playoff run includedthree goals and 11 points in 23 games.
He also stepped into a second-line center role, with Dave Bolland injured in the post-season.
The Blackhawks, based on his performance during the playoffs, re-signed Handzus earlier this month.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)