Jul 26, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Michal Handzus paid a heavy price to win a Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks, but he should be healthy for training camp.
According to Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago, the 36-year-old Handzus required not one, but two surgeries following the Stanley Cup Final, after playing the championship series against the Boston Bruins with a broken wrist and a torn MCL.
“I had two surgeries, but I’m healing and it’s coming along,” Handzus told ESPN Chicago.
“Right now, wrist, I still can’t do anything. It’s in a cast for one more week. After four weeks, I’m going to start to do something. It’s a little bit slower. My knee, it’s pretty much I’m rehabbing right now.
“[The doctors] are saying [I’ll be ready for training camp.]”
The Blackhawks picked up the veteran center prior to the NHL trade deadline in a deal with the San Jose Sharks.
His contributions – at least what we saw in the stats column – to the Blackhawks championship playoff run includedthree goals and 11 points in 23 games.
He also stepped into a second-line center role, with Dave Bolland injured in the post-season.
The Blackhawks, based on his performance during the playoffs, re-signed Handzus earlier this month.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)