Jul 25, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
“As of right now,” Thomas Vanek is preparing for another season with the Buffalo Sabres. However, the 29-year-old sniper admits playing on a team that is “rebuilding” may not be the ideal situation at this point in his career.
“We’re rebuilding, and I’m hoping we have the right pieces to accomplish something,” Vanek told KSTP TV in Minneapolis.
“You like to be on a team where you feel like going into camp you’re contending. You can’t guarantee to win a Cup, but right now in Buffalo we’re rebuilding, which is not the best-case scenario for me. But at the same time, there’s a lot of good young players and hopefully we pick the right ones.”
Vanek, along with teammate Ryan Miller, has been the subject of trade speculation after the Sabres missed the playoffs for the second straight season. Both players are in the final years of their contracts, after which they can become unrestricted free agents.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)