Jul 25, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
“As of right now,” Thomas Vanek is preparing for another season with the Buffalo Sabres. However, the 29-year-old sniper admits playing on a team that is “rebuilding” may not be the ideal situation at this point in his career.
“We’re rebuilding, and I’m hoping we have the right pieces to accomplish something,” Vanek told KSTP TV in Minneapolis.
“You like to be on a team where you feel like going into camp you’re contending. You can’t guarantee to win a Cup, but right now in Buffalo we’re rebuilding, which is not the best-case scenario for me. But at the same time, there’s a lot of good young players and hopefully we pick the right ones.”
Vanek, along with teammate Ryan Miller, has been the subject of trade speculation after the Sabres missed the playoffs for the second straight season. Both players are in the final years of their contracts, after which they can become unrestricted free agents.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)