Jul 25, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
“As of right now,” Thomas Vanek is preparing for another season with the Buffalo Sabres. However, the 29-year-old sniper admits playing on a team that is “rebuilding” may not be the ideal situation at this point in his career.
“We’re rebuilding, and I’m hoping we have the right pieces to accomplish something,” Vanek told KSTP TV in Minneapolis.
“You like to be on a team where you feel like going into camp you’re contending. You can’t guarantee to win a Cup, but right now in Buffalo we’re rebuilding, which is not the best-case scenario for me. But at the same time, there’s a lot of good young players and hopefully we pick the right ones.”
Vanek, along with teammate Ryan Miller, has been the subject of trade speculation after the Sabres missed the playoffs for the second straight season. Both players are in the final years of their contracts, after which they can become unrestricted free agents.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15