Jul 25, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
“As of right now,” Thomas Vanek is preparing for another season with the Buffalo Sabres. However, the 29-year-old sniper admits playing on a team that is “rebuilding” may not be the ideal situation at this point in his career.
“We’re rebuilding, and I’m hoping we have the right pieces to accomplish something,” Vanek told KSTP TV in Minneapolis.
“You like to be on a team where you feel like going into camp you’re contending. You can’t guarantee to win a Cup, but right now in Buffalo we’re rebuilding, which is not the best-case scenario for me. But at the same time, there’s a lot of good young players and hopefully we pick the right ones.”
Vanek, along with teammate Ryan Miller, has been the subject of trade speculation after the Sabres missed the playoffs for the second straight season. Both players are in the final years of their contracts, after which they can become unrestricted free agents.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 12
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 8
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 31
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 110
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 37