Jul 25, 2013, 6:18 PM EST
After leading Chicago to its second Stanley Cup in the last four seasons, Joel Quenneville is going to get rewarded.
According to multiple sources, the club is set to announce a contract extension for Quenneville on Friday, ensuring ‘Coach Q’ won’t go anywhere after his current three-year deal expires at the end of 2013-14.
The Blackhawks have already announced they’ll be holding a “major press conference” tomorrow, though the club didn’t specify what it’d be announcing.
The timing of the move is similar to Quenneville’s last extension, which came shortly after Chicago captured the 2010 Stanley Cup championship.
Though he’s only been with the Blackhawks for five seasons, Quenneville, 54, has emerged as one of the franchise’s most successful bench bosses and one of the most decorated coaches in Chicago history.
He, along with Phil Jackson (Chicago Bulls), George Halas (Chicago Bears) and Frank Chance (Chicago Cubs) are some of the few to win multiple titles with their respective teams.
In terms of Blackhawks success, Quenneville — currently second with 222 — still has a ways to go before catching franchise leader Billy Reay, who coached the ‘Hawks from 1963-76 and racked up 516 career wins.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)