Jul 25, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
After leading Chicago to its second Stanley Cup in the last four seasons, Joel Quenneville is going to get rewarded.
According to multiple sources, the club is set to announce a contract extension for Quenneville on Friday, ensuring ‘Coach Q’ won’t go anywhere after his current three-year deal expires at the end of 2013-14.
The Blackhawks have already announced they’ll be holding a “major press conference” tomorrow, though the club didn’t specify what it’d be announcing.
The timing of the move is similar to Quenneville’s last extension, which came shortly after Chicago captured the 2010 Stanley Cup championship.
Though he’s only been with the Blackhawks for five seasons, Quenneville, 54, has emerged as one of the franchise’s most successful bench bosses and one of the most decorated coaches in Chicago history.
He, along with Phil Jackson (Chicago Bulls), George Halas (Chicago Bears) and Frank Chance (Chicago Cubs) are some of the few to win multiple titles with their respective teams.
In terms of Blackhawks success, Quenneville — currently second with 222 — still has a ways to go before catching franchise leader Billy Reay, who coached the ‘Hawks from 1963-76 and racked up 516 career wins.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)