Jul 25, 2013, 6:18 PM EST
After leading Chicago to its second Stanley Cup in the last four seasons, Joel Quenneville is going to get rewarded.
According to multiple sources, the club is set to announce a contract extension for Quenneville on Friday, ensuring ‘Coach Q’ won’t go anywhere after his current three-year deal expires at the end of 2013-14.
The Blackhawks have already announced they’ll be holding a “major press conference” tomorrow, though the club didn’t specify what it’d be announcing.
The timing of the move is similar to Quenneville’s last extension, which came shortly after Chicago captured the 2010 Stanley Cup championship.
Though he’s only been with the Blackhawks for five seasons, Quenneville, 54, has emerged as one of the franchise’s most successful bench bosses and one of the most decorated coaches in Chicago history.
He, along with Phil Jackson (Chicago Bulls), George Halas (Chicago Bears) and Frank Chance (Chicago Cubs) are some of the few to win multiple titles with their respective teams.
In terms of Blackhawks success, Quenneville — currently second with 222 — still has a ways to go before catching franchise leader Billy Reay, who coached the ‘Hawks from 1963-76 and racked up 516 career wins.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)