Jul 25, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
After leading Chicago to its second Stanley Cup in the last four seasons, Joel Quenneville is going to get rewarded.
According to multiple sources, the club is set to announce a contract extension for Quenneville on Friday, ensuring ‘Coach Q’ won’t go anywhere after his current three-year deal expires at the end of 2013-14.
The Blackhawks have already announced they’ll be holding a “major press conference” tomorrow, though the club didn’t specify what it’d be announcing.
The timing of the move is similar to Quenneville’s last extension, which came shortly after Chicago captured the 2010 Stanley Cup championship.
Though he’s only been with the Blackhawks for five seasons, Quenneville, 54, has emerged as one of the franchise’s most successful bench bosses and one of the most decorated coaches in Chicago history.
He, along with Phil Jackson (Chicago Bulls), George Halas (Chicago Bears) and Frank Chance (Chicago Cubs) are some of the few to win multiple titles with their respective teams.
In terms of Blackhawks success, Quenneville — currently second with 222 — still has a ways to go before catching franchise leader Billy Reay, who coached the ‘Hawks from 1963-76 and racked up 516 career wins.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)